Hispanics/Latinos...

Options
XxQueenMxX
XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
How do you stay away from all the yummy food?!

My parents are Mexican and I just love to cook Mexican dishes! My favorites are anything with sour cream and cheese!!

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    We all have our "cultural" yummy food...I live in a very ethnically diverse area.

I try to avoid poutine, pizza, chips, and perogies....I just have a lack of self control with certain foods so I avoid them because I know I'll eat too much and feel bad after.

Instead of chips I make "oven chips" Thin sliced potatoes, seasoned. Instead of perogies I make mashed potatoes with fried onion and peppers...no substitute for poutine or pizza yet.

I've been craving Mexican...and Lebanese...want a burrito and fatoush salad

Addicted to tabouli right now but it sucks when I try to make it
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    Anyone is welcomed to post of course :)
    I'm also addicted to Italian and Mediterranean!!
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm Puerto Rican and to be honest over the years I have gravitated towards a pretty simple meat and veggies diet....usually on the grill, even in the NY winters ;)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I eat tacos every day but I'm getting off work right now and will tell you how soon :kissing_heart:
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I'll have a chinchilla! :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    XxQueenMxX wrote: »
    Anyone is welcomed to post of course :)
    I'm also addicted to Italian and Mediterranean!!

The Mediterranean diet is a great way to
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    What is that, a gyro AND a platter? You lush.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My MIL lived with us for several years, and she cooked every day.

The tortillas are my only downfall. I can have zero tortillas, or I can have 12, and there's basically nothing in between. So I don't eat the tortillas.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away from any Mexican food except the 7-layer burrito at Taco Bell. My abuelita used to say that was the devil's work.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Eat everything minus the rice beans and tortillas
  • victor73
    victor73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've learned to avoid the dairy in Hispanic foods. Instead of sour cream and cheese on foods, opt for cilantro and pico de gallo. I still eat corn tortillas and in fact one of my favorite breakfasts is breakfast tacos with one egg, a serving of meatless breakfast crumbles, and top it with broccoli slaw and salsa. As far as everything else, just think moderation - when I was younger, I could polish off a heaping bowl of rice and beans, but now, I'm happy with 1 cup each of rice and beans or lentils.
  • melir85
    melir85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Presente!!!!!! Puerto Rico :)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Mmmm all the meat and cheese :p I just make taco salads ... beef or chicken, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes. black olives, salsa ... So filling
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    I eat tacos every day but I'm getting off work right now and will tell you how soon :kissing_heart:

That's the life! lol
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    greek is kind of Mediterranean, right? I enjoyed every bite of it yesterday

4tq9pi8dec84.jpeg

Looks good!
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    Mmmm all the meat and cheese :p I just make taco salads ... beef or chicken, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes. black olives, salsa ... So filling

I ate lettuce wrap tacos twice last week! Minus the sour cream. I'm trying to stay off dairy as much as possible. May start substituting with greek yogurt but haven't dared to try it.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    My MIL lived with us for several years, and she cooked every day.

The tortillas are my only downfall. I can have zero tortillas, or I can have 12, and there's basically nothing in between. So I don't eat the tortillas.

LOL, luckily I'm not too crazy over corn tortillas, but quesadillas are one of my favorite!! So I eat them often with whole wheat tortillas.