Carrying forward a deficit beyond 7 days

Does anyone calorie cycle beyond 7 days? How do you administer it with MFP?

I have 1000 calories left over from last week and want to use them on Friday but it’ll show an excess for the week on MFP.

I’m loathe to build up a deficit this week since i already have one left from last week.

Any ideas?

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I do a lot of calorie cycling over various periods of time. I track everything in a spreadsheet instead of MFP, as I just don't find MFP is set up well for that kind of thing (even with premium, which does let you set different targets for different days, which is helpful). I think you just have to not worry about MFP showing the excess.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited March 2018
    Coz I’m anal ;)

I totally hear that - that's why I have the spreadsheet!

Okay, two spreadsheets: one for diet, one for fitness. Plus one for budget, but that's not really relevant here. I like spreadsheets, is what I'm saying.

WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's the long term trend over time that matters, I find that it takes about 2 weeks for the impact of my efforts to show on the scale - a week where I've been really diligent and on point calorie wise (when losing) would often not show up as a loss till a week or two later. Then when I overindulge and expect to see weight gain (not just water weight), it's often a couple weeks and then a seemingly inexplicable spike on the scale. It's taken me years of being here to just be comfortable with a range of numbers on the scale, and in my diary, and not worry about day to day or week to week overages and underages.

When I started losing I was right at the top of the obese I range, and my loss trend was a lot more predictable. Now that I'm down into the overweight range I've started seeing that delay you're talking about. I've also started weight lifting this month, so who knows what that's doing. It's all patience and consistency!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You could set up a little excel spreadsheet where you log you weekly deficit and your running net to satisfy your anal side.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,245 Member
    Yep, this is a perfect reason for the Beast that is Excel. I've got a spreadsheet that just keeps getting more and more complicated, though - so beware if you are detail oriented!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Honestly, if I don't eat back a days deficit outside a rolling 7 day window, and I'm not feeling particularly deprived.

I'd just write it off.

The rolling 7 day window is my friend :)

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Awesome advice everyone, thanks. Down the spreadsheet rabbit hole I go...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Awesome advice everyone, thanks. Down the spreadsheet rabbit hole I go...

One of us, one of us!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,121 Member
    Oh, noooooooooo.......

I wonder if there is a bonfire for written off calories and whether we should Mark them down first before writing them off? :heartbreak:
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Down one week, up the next-so what?