best exercise for belly? (with restrictions)

Options
I really want to tone up my stomach and reduce the fat there. I have had three kids and its all loose. I also seem to carry almost all my excess weight around my middle.

i have a bad back (two injuries and scoliosis)
bad knee (grinds bone on bone)
and nerve damage in my left elbow

i started overhauling my diet and started exercising about a month ago. i started at 180lbs. i just got into tracking on here a week ago though ive been a member for some time longer.

im walking 3-4 km a day and tracking my minutes/km with a gps program (mapmywalk) to calculate my calorie burn
i just got a used elliptical and am going to try to use that 2-3 times a week.
i do yoga stretching several times a week.

do you think this will tone it in time? are there certain things i can do to target it? im not able to enroll in a class or join a gym for time and financial reasons.

thanks in advance for your positive and helpful comments :)

Replies

• Firefighter208
    Options
    I really don't have a whole lot of advice except you cannot "spot reduce". Losing the belly fat will require an overall reduction of body fat. Can you do planks? I would think that yoga would help with strengthening your midsection (I have back problems also and do DDP Yoga myself).
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thanks.
    i think that half the issue is that i lack core body strenth. maybe i will focus the yoga i do to core.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com

They have several Standing Abs workouts.

It won't give you a flat stomach, but it will help strengthen your core muscles, which is also a good thing.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am not a fitness expert but you might want to try Pilates with some modifications for your injuries. Pilates really works the core muscles and will make the best of the tummy muscles you have.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a whole lot of advice except you cannot "spot reduce". Losing the belly fat will require an overall reduction of body fat. Can you do planks? I would think that yoga would help with strengthening your midsection (I have back problems also and do DDP Yoga myself).

Since you can't spot reduce, why do planks? It's a waste of time for your goal.

Lose body at a moderate rate. Look into non-weight bearing exercise like recumbent bike.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have some back and knee issues. I use a recumbent bike. I also have a relatively weak core, but most exercises to strengthen the core hurt my back.
  • Firefighter208
    Options

Lose body at a moderate rate. Look into non-weight bearing exercise like recumbent bike.
    To strengthen your midsection. Why would that be a waste of time?
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

Because her goal is a flatter belly, not a strong midsection. Check out the name of the thread.
  • Firefighter208
    Options

Because her goal is a flatter belly, not a strong midsection. Check out the name of the thread.
    Still, a stronger midsection is not a bad thing. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options

Still, a stronger midsection is not a bad thing. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Doesn't seem like we disagree. We agree that if you want a flatter stomach, ab work won't help. Just want to be sure that is clearly articulated in order to help the OP with accurate information.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thanks.
    i think that half the issue is that i lack core body strenth. maybe i will focus the yoga i do to core.

i did post this so yes, i am also looking to strengthen my core.
    thanks