Corned beef broth

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I made some corned beef and cabbage - - YUM! - - and have a couple cups of broth left over. I hate to throw it out but am not sure how to best use it. Corned beef has such a unique flavor from the spices, I'm not sure how the broth would work for vegetable soup? Any thoughts appreciated!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I think for soup you would have to be going for something that treated the corned beef flavor as an asset, not something where you were trying to hide it. Like a corned beef chowder, using some of the leftover corned beef and cabbage, along with potatoes, maybe onions, celery, carrots and/or corn, if you like them, and a little white sauce or whatever you like as a thickening agent.

Some non-soup ideas:

Use it as part of the liquid to cook potatoes to go with the corned beef and cabbage?

Use it as liquid in a flour-and-egg-based casserole with chopped leftover corned beef and cabbage (or cook the mixture in muffin tins instead of a casserole, for savory breakfast muffins).

Serve the broth as-is for a first-course clear soup.

Mix with tomato or V-8 juice (I'd start at 1:1 adjust to taste from there).
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It would probably make a good lentil soup base, with something smoky added, like bacon or smoked ham. I'd strain it to remove the bulk of the spices like the whole seeds in corned beef seasoning.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Yes I already strained it. Lentils are a great idea!
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    great post! Huge fan of using it ALL up.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Make beans with it. Yum.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    curiousgp wrote: »
    great post! Huge fan of using it ALL up.

^^^This exactly! I hate to toss out anything that could be used for another meal. I'd definitely use the corned beef liquid but really scale back on any additional salt since the corned beef juices will be plenty salty on their own.

Whenever I cook any meats (roast or crockpot) I save all the juices. Put in the fridge in a glass container, then when the fat hardens just skim that off. The remaining liquid (or gelatin) is lovely for a soup base or to cook rice, quinoa or potatoes. Full of flavor and you don't have to use much additional seasoning. It's like a homemade bouillon.