Replies

• ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and just starting
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Alright girl I see you getting after it! Good job. Also a female lifter here.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm also 44 and just started Strong Lifts a couple of weeks ago. I feel like a wimp, though--still at 25-40lbs :blush:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I've not seen negative hype about females lifting heavy.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I started weight training almost a year ago and love it.. I'm 43 and wish I'd started sooner. I squat 135 dl 195 bench 95 and hip thrust 375 not often at that weight though. The gym is my stress reliever!
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I started lifting seriously again back in January and I'm in love. I wish I was this devoted to cardio as well but I guess we can't have it all, lol.
    I'm 28 and an aspiring power lifter...I set goals to hit 1 plate bench/2 plate squat/3 plate deadlift by the end of the year, but I think I may be able to reach that before then.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    46 and a 'lighter' lifter. (Is there a better term for it?)

I'd been 4-5 months into weight-loss, when all the sound advice on these boards about working in strength training to minimize muscle loss finally sunk in. I happened to be walking by a fitness store, asked for newb advice, and came out with a resistance tube. The clerk had suggested either tubes or dumbbells and I'd been walking 45 minutes to get there. Lifting was one thing, but I wasn't sure whether I could carry a couple of pairs of dumbbells home... or if they wouldn't tear a shopping bag!

I started with some exercises on YouTube, but I also started checking out books on women's fitness and strength training from the library. Then I went to the bookstore and bought one I hadn't read yet: Joan Pagano's Strength Training Exercises for Women.

I began at the beginning: 3 to 5lb dumbbells, and for some exercises (lunges and squats), just body-weight until I got the form down. And, while the book tops out at 12lbs for most exercises, I've gone heavier on my own. Currently, depending on the exercise, I'm lifting anywhere from 5 (triceps extensions on stability ball) to 20 (seated lat rows on ball, front squats, and side squats on cardio step).

When I'm near Canadian Tire—basically an automotive/hardware/garden/fitness & sporting equipment department store—I make my way to the dumbbell racks and see what I can pick up and try a couple of squats or curls with. Yesterday, I hefted a pair of 25s and turned to see a little girl about 7 or 8 watching with her mouth wide open. Okay, I know I'm no power lifter, but for a 5'3" 40-something woman who was never fit or athletic? Dang, it made my day. (As did being able to pick up 30 for the first time!)

At present, I don't belong to a gym and don't have a reliable spotter, so I'm not comfortable trying to lift barbels. But, hey, up to now, it's always been "I'm not strong enough to lift them anyway, so there's nothing to even discuss." Now? Let's just say I'm considering...
  • miwwertz
    miwwertz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I gotta ask. Why do you limit yourself by setting an end goal? I personally have no ceiling for my lifts, but I have set out to hit a 400 squat for July. If you set a number to reach but always strive for more after you reach it, you'll be able to stay much more motivated.

But yes, female lifters. Gorgeous. You can be petite and still look powerful and determined. Plus, I think it's just awesome that women are breaking the old norm and heading out in pursuit of some seriously heavy lifts.

100% agree with what you said! Personally, those are my reaching for it goals, I have mini goals set leading up to them and then once there or near there, will set new ones! I wish you the best of luck on your own goals:)
  • miwwertz
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I try to do one "pay it forward" comment to a woman at my gym each workout.

That's great, it's always wonderful to hear that comment from one person or another. I'm sure you've made many ladies' days :)
  • miwwertz
    Options
    I'm 44 and just starting

That's great!! I love hearing that people are just starting, that's often one of the hardest steps!
  • miwwertz
    Options
    adele012 wrote: »
    Alright girl I see you getting after it! Good job. Also a female lifter here.

Haha thank you! Appreciate the support and hope you keep kicking butt at the gym :)
  • miwwertz
    Options
    I'm also 44 and just started Strong Lifts a couple of weeks ago. I feel like a wimp, though--still at 25-40lbs :blush:

Hey, everyone starts somewhere and if that is a challenge to you, just keep at it until it starts getting easier and move on up from there. As long as you keep getting better than your yesterday's, last week's, last month's version of yourself, then you're doing great :)