I tried Halo Top for the first time today and...

Options

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You also have to remember, it's super low cal "ice cream" with a bunch of substitutions for what actually makes ice cream good - sugar and fat. It's not going to taste like the real thing, or even be close to it. Personally, I've never tried it. There are a lot of sweet things I'd take before ice-cream.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My microwave has a 'soften ice cream option. Very handy.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Not a fan here either. I tried a few flavors and didn't like them. I buy Talenti and have little bowls so I can watch the serving size.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I bought a couple and hated them too such as the chocolate banana and the chocolate peanut butter cup one which was shocking because I normally like anything with chocolate and peanut butter. I got a couple of others to try.
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    HeidiMSM wrote: »
    Just tried Halo Top in Canada. Expensive, $6.99 for a container plus 13% tax! Bought Caramel Macchiato, Salted Caramel & Peanut Butter. All were okay. Not that many flavours to choose from, no basic chocolate even. For price and taste it would be better to just eat regular ice cream if you can limit yourself to l/2 c. serving. I can't so thought I'd give the Halo Top a try. Will try another flavour if it comes on sale or if I can find a coupon.

Hello Heidi, not sure where in Canada you are. I live in Windsor, ON and it's on sale here at Metro for $5.99. I'm able to buy the plain chocolate flavour here but not at all Metros.
  • Kida181
    Kida181 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some flavors are better than others, but the only one I really hated so far was the Birthday Cake. Peanut Butter is probably the best IMO
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I had high hopes for Pancakes & Waffles but man, it tastes really bitter to me like it's too heavy on molasses or something. I even tried a second pint because others have said there can be taste inconsistencies between cartons. Unfortunately, this one IS consistent in its awfulness.

I love the cinnamon flavour of the Oatmeal Cookie but not the bits of oatmeal. I'll probably stick with the plain vanilla and add my own spice.

There's now another option for those of us in Canada - CoolWay. I found some at Sobey's but they were $7.99 per pint. I'm not that desperate to try it at that price. Walmart HAD it but they were all sold out by the time I found out about it. They were on sale there for $4.95 per pint and that's still crazy but more reasonable.
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sea salt caramel is definitely my favorite. Like the OP, I didn't like the cookies -n- cream but I tried it before I learned it is better to let it melt a little. I will try it again to see if it makes a difference. I have the red velvet scheduled for tonight and I am hoping that is good since I love red velvet.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I like halo top .. its great ice cream and satisfies me .. BUT ... then I taste the icecream my wife is having, and its thick and heavy and sooo creamy and a real depth of flavour and sweeter and .. .and ... and ... well fortunately its 3 times the calories of Halo top.

but I do wonder if a teeny bit of real icecream is better than a bowl of halo top
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    but I do wonder if a teeny bit of real icecream is better than a bowl of halo top

And that is where the rub comes in. I cannot do just a teeny bit of real ice cream. I am better off with the pint of Halo Top.

• Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I didn't like cookies N Cream and I didn't like the salted caramel either (too much salt) but I do love the chocolate one. It gives me a tummy ache though so I had to switch to Yasso. The coconut caramel Yasso greek yogurt is my new fav. It has bits of dark chocolate and coconut with swirls of caramel.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I still love pistachio, birthday cake, cookie dough, and the macchiato ones. I will NOT be trying the pancake or the oatmeal ones.
  • shiragatama
    shiragatama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've only ever tried strawberry (I am OBSESSED with anything strawberry flavored) and it was so good that I finished the entire pint in one day! I haven't tried any other flavors though.
  • meloyellow27
    meloyellow27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor!!
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i just discovered turkey hill vanilla bean fro yo and i am CONVINCED they packed their regular vanilla ice cream into the tub - it's insanely creamy.

i wanted to like halo top but the sugar alcohols kill my tummy
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How much are these typically? They just started selling them here and at $7 for a tiny container, there's not a snowball chance in hell I'm trying them at that price.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How much are these typically? They just started selling them here and at $7 for a tiny container, there's not a snowball chance in hell I'm trying them at that price.

in Canada they are $5.99 sale price at Metro right now.

in the States best I've seen is 3 for $10USD (but maybe others have got it cheaper?)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

in Canada they are $5.99 sale price at Metro right now.

in the States best I've seen is 3 for $10USD (but maybe others have got it cheaper?)

$2.88 regularly at shop rite. Still not worth it.