TeachergirlCeleste Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So what would be the best foods
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Anything, especially items to help get in enough fat/protein. @diannethegeek put together an excellent list here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    She has found some success as 34 pounds is an amazing accomplishment but right away I saw a major flaw in the post and I am surprised that no one else brought it up: The word diet. We should be encouraging her to make life changes to seek out long term success and health rather than spending too much time on the calorie counts as a central focus point. She is either playing starvation roulette with her health, being medically supervised to be running the number that low (not unheard of for diabetics in recent studies), or she will get an earful from her doctor when her next set of blood counts come back and will hopefully make needed adjustments in her life at that time. My point is to hopefully encourage her to take a step back and realize that her body is asking for something and say the unpopular thing on this board which is to eat when you are hungry and if you are so desperate to account for the extra calories then go for a walk.
  • craziirabbitz
    craziirabbitz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I love grapefruits! I don't feel guilty when I indulge!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

As low as you currently are, eat something that makes you happy. Going forward, remember that food is fuel for your body to do all the important things it needs to do. You want to eat plenty of nutritious foods, but you don't have to eat all "healthy". When I was losing, I made sure I fit in a treat or something that was just yummy every day. To lose weight, it's the calories that count, but too low and your health will suffer.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Seriously, eat. You can get away with very low calories for a while, but then your hair will suffer and then your muscles. And your heart is a muscle!

Try some lean protein like roast chicken or pork loin, it sounds like you are already eating plenty of fruit. Some grains and legumes are also good for staying full.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you bump more protein and fat to your later in the day meal (not all fat is bad, there are good fats! Olive oil and avocados are my go-to fatty food items and they are both full of the "healthy fat" that your body needs to function). Then add a greek yogurt (full of protein) with some granola on top (full of fiber) as an evening snack or before bedtime. Be sure it's not one of those filled-with-artificial sweetener "light & fit" yogurts, those actually make you crave junk food because they are too "sweet". Look for a 2% fat greek yogurt with about 120-150 calories. I like the fruit on the bottom type the best. Then find a granola you like, my favorite is Love Crunch Dark Chocolate Macaroon on pineapple or black cherry greek yogurt:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nature-s-Path-Organic-Love-Crunch-Dark-Chocolate-Macaroon-Premium-Organic-Granola-11-5-oz-Pack-of-6/42371381 (yeah it's scary on the label, but you won't be eating a whole lot of it, just 1 serving a day as part of a healthy snack - and it will satisfy all your cravings)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chobani-Greek-Yogurt-Pineapple-Fruit-on-the-Bottom-Low-Fat-Yogurt-5-3-oz/21291508

If you're hungry in the middle of the day right after eating a meal, first, wait 15 minutes (sometimes when we are really hungry we woof down our food so fast that our bodies don't know we've eaten so we still feel hungry until the body catches up), then, add a protein shake. My favorite is https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bobs-Red-Mill-Protein-Powder-Nutritional-Booster-Chocolate-32-Oz/190137860 made in almond milk (I often make half-servings in a cup and a half of almond milk, I find that's a better ratio and the chalkiness is less noticed if you only use half a serving in a little extra liquid). I add two tablespoons of https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nestle-Ovaltine-Chocolate-Malt-Flavored-Milk-Additive-12-Oz/15580508 (this also comes in a plain chocolate flavor if you dislike malt) plus a serving of https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOW-Real-Food-Beef-Gelatin-Powder-1-lb/146981524 along with a swig of vanilla extract. Every single time I have finished dinner and still had a craving, one of these shakes took care of it. It's rich, filling, chocolate and sweet, and it has none of those gross-tasting chemical artificial sweeteners.

I get a lot of flack here for my low calorie consumption too, and I understand where you are coming from, BUT, 600 calories is seriously not enough to survive. Like as in, you can't sustain human life on that, for real. Your body's muscle is being consumed just to keep you alive. I know you think "but I have all this fat!" but unless you eat enough calories, you will NEVER lose it, because your body is being told, by your restricted diet "I'm starving" and so it is responding by say "KEEP ALL THIS FAT! WE NEED IT OR WE WILL DIE!" By actually eating more calories, you will send a message to your body that says "Hey, we're not starving anymore, so we don't need to keep all this fat around, we can actually burn some of it for fuel!" and your body will switch from eating up your muscles to eating up some of that stored fat. You probably can't tell your body is eating your muscles if you have a lot of fat covering them, but I'm sure you're tired and you feel like every step is a chore - that's because your muscles are suffering under there! You can't starve yourself and lose weight that will stay off. I want to stress that. You will lose weight, BUT, you will rebound and put it ALL right back on because you're telling your body that it needs to adapt to survival mode, so as soon as you lose all that weight (by actual starvation - that's technically what you're doing) and you tell yourself "OH thank god, I can have that pork chop now!" and begin to eat a "normal responsible" amount of food, you will plump up like the grain-fed market sow ready for the butcher that you just ate! You have to get your body out of "save all the fat, we're starving!" mode and into "Oh hey, we're not dying, we can utilize some of this stored fat for energy" mode BY EATING (and exercising - which you'll actually have the energy to do if you eat!). Eat. For real. It's seriously OK. Eat healthy foods, eat small portions, but don't starve yourself, you're not going to accomplish your goals that way, you're just going to be miserable, tired, hungry, and then one day you'll just be fat again. It's a losing battle. It's called the yo-yo diet. You crash diet off all that weight, and it just slams back onto you.
  • amandastardust89
    amandastardust89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat...just eat stuff that's good for you!