Carbs or Protein

I’m 4’11 and 115lbs. I’m trying to gain about 10lbs but I have a pretty fast metabolism. I want to know what is the most important focus when trying to gain weight, is it protein or carbs?

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    You do not need an excessive amount of protein...0,8g of protein per pound is enough if your maintaining/bulking and ideally 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight if you're trying to lose weight. No need to eat a *kitten* ton of protein. I keep carbs high, because I lift and carbs will help you thrive at the gym...which is why I avoid keto at all cost when I cut.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Calories!

^ This.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    As long as you hit or are around your protein goals, go for anything that is easiest and less filling for you. Carbs are great during a bulk so go for them.
  • btho1627
    btho1627 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all I really appreciate your help.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Eat a balanced diet with sufficient calories.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Aim for around 1.5 to 1.7 grams per kg, 0.8 as states above is for a sedentary adult not someone looking to gain muscle, 50% of your diet should come from carbohydrate, then the remainder of calories after these two have been taking into consideration will come from fats
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Aim for around 1.5 to 1.7 grams per kg, 0.8 as states above is for a sedentary adult not someone looking to gain muscle, 50% of your diet should come from carbohydrate, then the remainder of calories after these two have been taking into consideration will come from fats

The .8g started above is per lb, not per kg. So you are roughly in the same range.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Calories...eat more calories.