Calorie counting

Options
So I have a question. I recently watched a video from one of the MFP coaches that answered the question concerning whether we are supposed to eat the calories that are added to our count after exercise is input. He said yes, they are added to our calorie goal for the day. What I want to know is, if we are supposed to burn more than we eat in order to lose weight, isn't eating those calories counter productive?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    "Burn" isn't just through exercise. It takes a lot of energy just to run a body. Things like breathing, digestion, and muscle movement use energy.

The calorie goal on MFP already includes a deficit. If you told MFP that you wanted to lose one pound per week, the calorie goal is 500 calories lower than your maintenance level to account for that one pound goal.

400 calories of exercise would add 400 calories to that day's calorie goal. Eating those 400 calories would still leave you the 500 calories below your maintenance level that you would need to lose one pound per week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You burn plenty of calories just by living and going about your day. MFP sets you up with a deficit from those calories. This is why when you exercise you should be eating those calories back...to keep that deficit consistent and fuel your body.