Intense workouts = bigger thighs?

Options
Hi! So I’ve never posted on any forum ever before but I’m stuck. I started doing a circuit training program. Ex. 5 min on the treadmill then 5 doing lunges, pushups, burpees etc and back and forth for about 50 minutes. The running might be 1 min walk, 2 min jog, I min walk 1 min sprint. Everyday the floor/treadmill workout is different as is the length of time doing each.

So.

I started this 6 months ago. I’m 5’9 140lbs. Clean ish diet. Nothing fried, no soda, fast food, processed food for the most part. Lots of lean protein, vegetables etc although I do have a sweet tooth. I made a ton of progress. Didn’t drop A SINGLE POUND in 60 months but my shape changed A LOT. Much smaller waist, more upper body muscle tone etc. here’s my issue: my thighs over the last two months have gotten bigger. And in the last two months I started squatting heavier and running a lot of sprints. I HATE them now. Does anyone have any experience with this and is this one of those “they get bigger before they get things with starting a sprint part of my workout or does this happen after 6 months of interval training? Kinda bums me out bc I like the rest of the progress I’ve made.

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are working out your legs, but expect them never to get larger? Why the lunges and squats if that’s your goal? How big are your thighs?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How much bigger have they gotten? Have you taken measurements?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You’re doing a lot of activity that is increasing your leg power, stands to reason that if you work your legs then you’ll build muscle on your legs.

If you’re after toning then you need to do longer less intense work, but what you’re doing now all points to building muscle.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You're smack dab in the middle of healthy weight, what is your goal weight, and why?

Also, If you're trying to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit, not "clean" diet.

And yes, the other folks have it exactly right, You're building muscle in your legs. They're going to get bigger.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you have measurements because a smaller waist can make legs appear to be bigger while in fact they are not. And if youwork them frequently, you could have some minor swelling, as your body will store fluids to help repair muscles.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Muscle is beautiful.

Congrats.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Do you have measurements because a smaller waist can make legs appear to be bigger while in fact they are not. And if youwork them frequently, you could have some minor swelling, as your body will store fluids to help repair muscles.

Also, sometimes when people lower their body fat percentage and see an increase in muscle definition, they think they're getting bigger when in fact the muscles are just more defined/visible from the lowered body fat.
  • dancingoracle
    dancingoracle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sounds like you've gained some beautiful, sexy, muscular legs... enjoy the strength and power you find in them :smile: