Shoes for Achilles issues?

Options
I have had achilles tendonitis for months. I'm icing, stretching, resting, etc.. doing everything I'm supposed to be doing but am still in pain. I wear Skechers Go Walks majority of the time and Birkenstocks around the house because the Birks really helped with plantar fasciitis I had years ago. I can't wear a traditional gym shoe because the back rubs against the achilles and is too painful. Wondering if the Skechers are aiding to the problem. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shoe in this situation? I'm not running or walking any significant distances, just trying to make it through the day.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a podiatrist? That's where I'd start.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Using any footwear additives? I've found plantar fasciitis bands helpful (futuro)...definitely need enough room though in the shoe as well as proper fitting though. Podiatrist can always fit you for custom orthotics if that doesn't help
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    have you tried barefoot or minimalist shoes with zero drop and no arch support?

are you working on strengthening your feet and lower legs?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    have you tried barefoot or minimalist shoes with zero drop and no arch support?

are you working on strengthening your feet and lower legs?

If you go this route, transition VERY slowly. I had an upper body surgery so couldn't run. For the heck of it I got some Vibram 5 Fingers to see if I could strengthen my feet. I started walking in them and gradually increased the distance. By the time I could run again, I found my feet we considerably stronger and I could wear pretty much any type of running shoe pain free as opposed to the heavy motion control shoes I was wearing.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I saw a podiatrist and am following his instructions but not getting better. Haven't gone the custom orthotics route yet because I've heard they don't help much. I thought going barefoot was the worst possible thing you could do. So much conflicting information out there.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I can't wear a traditional gym shoe because the back rubs against the achilles and is too painful.

That sounds more like Achilles Bursitis.
    Does it hurt when you walk in the Skechers?
    Do you run?
    Do you have high or flat arches?
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I don't run, have high arches and it hurts all the time to walk no matter what shoe I'm in.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I saw a podiatrist and am following his instructions but not getting better. Haven't gone the custom orthotics route yet because I've heard they don't help much. I thought going barefoot was the worst possible thing you could do. So much conflicting information out there.

Going barefoot or wearing barefoot style shoes (thin flat sole with zero drop and no support) should strengthen your feet and lower legs. You just need to take it slow and give your muscles a chance to get strong, and it won't be easy or pleasant.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would consider a night splint in you have Achilles tendinitis or tendonosis. I went to an ortho who specializes in Achilles tendinitis and he prescribed the splint plus he had me put 1/4 of a nitroglycerin patch on the painful area each day. You need a Rx for the patches. Talk to your chiro and find out what he thinks.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I agree about trying a night splint. Get one that adjusts to angles less than 90 degrees, so you can gradually decrease the angle as it gets more comfortable. Here's an example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Plantar-Fasciitis-Splint-Medium/dp/B006L8N71Y

Also, i'd be stretching the calves every hour for 30+ seconds. The effects of stretching don't last long, hence the hourly interval.

You could also try eccentric heel drops, but the studies are mixed with them. Check youtube for how to do them.

For shoes, wear whatever causes the least pain. Shoes with a raised heel (or a heel cup) might feel more comfortable now, but the ultimate goal should be to slowly transition to no raised heel, if possible, because that's ergonomically correct.
    While i don't recommend them forever, rocker bottom shoes like Skechers Shape-ups may give you some relief when walking by putting less tension on the tendon (study).

Honestly, it sounds like may have bone spurs or other issues there, because Achilles tendonitis doesn't usually hurt all the time when walking. There are several conditions that mimic Achilles tendonitis, and they're very hard for doctors to differentiate without doing MRI scans.

What were you doing that might have triggered it? Any jumping or running?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

For achilles tendonopathy or related injuries it is one of the worst things you can do. The achilles is not something you can strengthen. What you're needing to do is stretch, as described above.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    vmj2xu00n66w.png
    Hi. I completely understand your Achilles issues. I finally had my left one repaired the end of 2016, I can deal with the right one for now. I wear converse for my everyday shoe. For fitness I wear Nike flyknit. They backs don’t have the large padding that typically rubs on the tendon. They have been life saving shoe for me.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I would consider a night splint in you have Achilles tendinitis or tendonosis. I went to an ortho who specializes in Achilles tendinitis and he prescribed the splint plus he had me put 1/4 of a nitroglycerin patch on the painful area each day. You need a Rx for the patches. Talk to your chiro and find out what he thinks.

That's an awaful good way to destroy a well crafted/engineered piece of technology...ortho can't read package insert apparently (only a handful of transdermals are designed to be cut). Duh, there is an ointment version. Nifedipine is also standard...

• SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Asking as someone who has had surgery on both Achilles tendons, has your podiatrist done an xray of the tendons? Since nothing else is working, I'm wondering if it really is tendinitis. I'm thinking no.