What are your short term/long term goals?

Options
Roadie2000
Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
Other than simply just losing weight and looking better, what motivates you? Do you have any fitness milestones you are currently shooting for? Do you have a fitness bucket list? Is there anything you've always wanted to do or say you can do?

Personally, short term I want to finish C25K and longer term be able to run a mile in under 7 minutes and get my 5k time to under 30 minutes. Strength wise I want to bench 200 lbs again. In high school we had the 200 Club, where if you could bench 200 lbs 3 times you got your name up on the board, so that's always been a benchmark of mine.

A big motivator of mine is to write down goals and check them off as I go, so I can go back later and see what I've accomplished.

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'd love to eventually qualify for Boston. And would love to do an Ironman triathlon one day.
  • Macallan35
    Macallan35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good questions. I just retired my actual weight loss goal to get below 220lbs and replaced it with a % body fat goal to get below 15%. One goal at a time for me is best. I use MFP and another App for Recording Strength Training Workouts...just getting back into weight lifting the past 4 months...starting really slow. I don't want to break anything! :smiley: ...motivation...to go to my 30 year high school reunion in September and to be as fit as I was when I graduated in 1988!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Short-term: 400 lb deadlift

Long-term: Not sure.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Walking: current pace per mile is 13:45. Goal: 13:30 min. per mile.

Due to increasing my walking lately I've been doing mainly body-weight exercises instead of heavy lifting and I was just informed about shrimp squats and Cossack squats from an MFP peep today, so I'm going to start working on those.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking my fitness 'goal' is arbitrary, but it's to be in the best shape possible for my sport, and to be able to race without my fitness being a limiting factor, especially as I move up into faster, and longer, races.

It's a huge motivator, but there aren't specifics other than longer, harder, and tweaking my workouts to make sure I'm hitting areas that are obvious weaknesses. Unfortunately, this also means that unless I'm riding semi-regularly, it's hard to know where my weaknesses are going to be, so winter prep ends up based off the previous year, but come spring I may discover that something else was a bit more lacking than I realized.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have actually re-evaluated this recently.
    Short term goals: 100 Kettlebell snatches with 8k in one practice session (focus on form with lots of rest between sets of 10). 5 Turkish Get Ups per side at 8k.

Long term goals:
    -Work up to the first part of Simple and Sinister by Pavel (5 TGU per side at 16K and 100 one arm swings per side at 24K)
    - Become a certified Strongfirst instructor:-)

The dream I usually don't tell anyone about:
    There is a rock climbing route called Ancient Art that goes up Fisher Tower in Moab, Utah. I would love to do that route before they close access to it.
  • koda0071
    koda0071 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had two long term goals last year. Pass USN PFT for my age/gender. Finish C25k program. Done and done. Moving on to this year Short term is to enter first 5k race this spring. Long term do a pull up unassisted. Trying to lead by setting a good example for my teenage children to stay active and healthy keeps me motivated and it feels good to have something in common to talk and share about other than homework and house chores.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    ffswmn wrote: »
    Short term goal, be able to complete a 5- 6 mile hike without thinking I'm going to die before we finish.

Long term goal, be able to hike Havasu Falls without concern that I won't be able to do it.

Longer term goal, hike rim to rim in the Grand Canyon.

I LOVE your goals!!! Havasu is so gorgeous.
    My short term: run my 15K with my sister next weekend, and show up for my workouts (not super motivated right now).
    My long term: climbing Mt. St. Helens on Aug 18th this year. I've been up before, so I know that I need to show up for the aforementioned workouts that I'm not so motivated to do... This is why I need goals...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is short or long term, but ... my husband and I have our eye on the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019.

Some info:
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/
  • MatheoHans
    MatheoHans Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Short term 75 kilos till Easter and 69 before my bday in may.long term i want to get 69 kilos and pursue boxing or mma I just want to step in the ring or octagon and have my hand raised so I can say to myself hey man you did it, you are the best.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Short term goal: get my L1 certification

Long term goal: open my own CF box
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    great goals davidsdottir.

Short term (by 31st December 2017) 100kg back squat (12.5kg away), 150kg deadlift (30kg away) . 1 muscle up and a sub 6 min Fran time. Not asking for much hey!!

Long term: undecided really. keep my numbers going up and maintain my running speed. be the best i can be. Improve my snatch and split jerk. maintain my dedication to CrossFit
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Short term: finish the century ride in June I signed up for well - without feeling like I killed myself on the hills.
    Long term: not have another surgery within the next 2 plus years
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm actually trying to gain weight.
    There's a substantial community on here seeking weight gain surprisingly enough.

Short term. Add about 10lb onto me. Preferably muscle, except my current training regime isn't exactly tailored for hypertrophy.

Long term (this year) I'm aiming to hit a 350 wilks. Meaning I have to get stronger. Then after gaining those 10lbs I'll have to try and cut a similar amount whilst retaining as much strength as possible
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    not short or long term, just goals:
    1 push up
    1 pull up
    a front/back split
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Short term: drop 2kg, build back to 5k runs, keep eating as I do, home weight training 3x/week (and yes, maybe also manage to finally do a proper push-up / pull-up. Edit: Also, quit smoking.

Long term: half-marathon, getting stronger (implies eating more), dropping my body fat to 20%ish, a mansion by the sea and a secure and comfortable passive income
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Short term goal: to get under 200 lb. I'm currently 216. Long term goal is to get down to 120 lb. and then go on maintenance. Also hoping to get my diabetes in remission.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ride my bike 400 miles in 24 hours...