Beginners Running, where to start

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends on your level of fitness...

I started running after completing insanity so I just ran a 2 mile course 3x a week, and slowly increased my miles from there.

C25k is a great place to start if you are a beginner to exercise in general.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, will just have to be brave and get out there, no excuses as you're all basically saying the same :) think it's just the first step out of the door which is hardest :/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    picnic2day wrote: »
    Thanks so much, will just have to be brave and get out there, no excuses as you're all basically saying the same :) think it's just the first step out of the door which is hardest :/

Another vote for C25K after you can walk for a half hour (seems you've got that covered) and go to a real running store and get fitted for shoes that fit your gait.

Lots of apps out there. I used Zen Labs one on Android. Did it the beginning of 2017 on my home treadmill. Now trying to train for a 1/2 marathon.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I started berating myself for waking early, then spending forty minutes lazing in bed checking social media. So I began getting up and going for a walk round the park in that time. 10 minutes to get to the park, 10 minutes round it, 10 minutes back.

After a while, I decided to start running as walking needed changing up. I did the c25k programme (I did some of it on the treadmill to start, and there are plenty that are time based).

I'm now training for my first marathon.

go slow. slower than you realize. increase distance/time. never be afraid to walk, but try and run if you can, however slowly that may be
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to come back and say thank you for all your useful advice. I down loaded a C25K app, and after a bit of faffing around and making excuses, I eventually went out and had a go.

Loved it and I'm now just starting week 3, I can see that the way it's broken down it will gradually build my fitness and stamina. Loving it, can't wait for my next run.

Glad to hear it's going well!
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a good app to keep track of time/distance and have guided runs Nike Run Club is one i have been using for years. Runkeeper, runtastic and Strava are cool too but idk if they have guided runs(runtastic does i think)
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've just been using the NHS/BBC Get Inspired C25K, it tells you when to run and when to walk, so pretty much idiot proof. My fitbit maps my runs if I want it to.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've just been using the NHS/BBC Get Inspired C25K, it tells you when to run and when to walk, so pretty much idiot proof. My fitbit maps my runs if I want it to.

Ahh okay, well im glad to see its working for you