Fitbit adjustment help HUGE DIFFERENCES

Options
KilaMarie88
KilaMarie88 Posts: 28 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so CLEARLY there is definitely a difference as to whether I should count my Fitbit/exercise points or not. If I do not count them then I am way over points and the complete diary summary says I would GAIN 2lbs in 5 weeks if every day were like today. I DEFINITELY do not want this!! If I keep them then it says I will lose like 6lbs in 5 weeks. I am so lost... I told myself I was going to delete my Fitbit this week and just eat my calories assigned because I feel like the adjusted calories are ridiculously high, but I was sooo hungry! So then I changed the setting so I won’t feel bad being so negative

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to include your fitbit calories via a sync with the device, and your daily steps average around 15k? Your activity level is probably set too low.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are you set at Sedentary on MFP? What rate of loss are you going for? How long have you had a FitBit? Was the 15k steps from a strenuous exercise or just a busy day? How typical is that level of activity?

A lot of people are unsure if they should trust their FitBit, but that’s because they don’t understand what the adjustments really represent - the difference between what MFP thinks you burn based on stats you entered, and what FitBit thinks you burned for the full day.

You also can keep the adjustment but not eat back the full amount of calories until you have a better handle on whether the adjustments are accurate for you. I always trusted and ate back my adjustments but when I was set at Sedentary and averaging more than 10k steps a day, I got big adjustments, because that’s not Sedentary. I changed my activity level and ate back the calories and lost weight at the rate I wanted and am now maintaining while trusting the two systems to work together...
  • KilaMarie88
    KilaMarie88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are you set at Sedentary on MFP? What rate of loss are you going for? How long have you had a FitBit? Was the 15k steps from a strenuous exercise or just a busy day? How typical is that level of activity?

A lot of people are unsure if they should trust their FitBit, but that’s because they don’t understand what the adjustments really represent - the difference between what MFP thinks you burn based on stats you entered, and what FitBit thinks you burned for the full day.

You also can keep the adjustment but not eat back the full amount of calories until you have a better handle on whether the adjustments are accurate for you. I always trusted and ate back my adjustments but when I was set at Sedentary and averaging more than 10k steps a day, I got big adjustments, because that’s not Sedentary. I changed my activity level and ate back the calories and lost weight at the rate I wanted and am now maintaining while trusting the two systems to work together...

I have it set to lose 1lb/week. I used to average 5000 steps a day, which is why I have it set to sedentary, but lately it’s been closer to 10000 (including my daily cardio), today was just a little extra busy...So should my setting be lightly active?