Favorite way to cook a whole chicken?

Options
2»

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup or roasted in a Dutch oven.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to stuff the chicken with 1/2 an onion and about 30 cloves of garlic and then roast. Absolute heaven and you can use the garlic for spreading on french bread.
  • mtrschiff916
    mtrschiff916 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to cook a whole chicken is to rub it, all over with McCormick's Rotisserie chicken seasoning and put it in the Crockpot for 4 to 6 hours. It falls off the bone and is tender and delish.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,687 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Spatchcock takes me about 35 minutes and there is the advantage that the legs and breasts are done at the same time. Spatchcocking takes advantage of the fact that the centre oven (where the breasts are) is cooler than the perimeter (where the legs are).

How long do you let it rest? I’ll definitely try this next time.

My kids have an inconvenient age gap where one is in middle school and needs to be picked up 20 minutes away at 5, and the other is in kindergarten and needs to start bedtime at 6:30. (For the next 5 weeks, and then this sport season is over.) So I need to turn off the oven at 4:40 or not start cooking until 5:20 and get dinner on the table as close to 6 as possible. I’m holding on to dinner as a family as long as I can. :)

Oh, and for once they Pooh-poohed my chicken & dumplings from leftovers, but that’s because I offered chicken soup with cream biscuits instead.

I normally rest for about 10 minutes after cooking. Gives enough time to make gravy from the pan drippings if you so desire. Timing of cooking will depend on size of chicken so if you want to be sure get an instant read thermometer. They are not expensive. Chicken is safe at 74 Celsius or 165 Farenheit.
  • drylandcrop__
    drylandcrop__ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spatchcocked and roasted with a touch of smoke (applewood or something sweet) on my Kamado Joe. Oh, and a bit of run on the skin. Delicious!