Any recommendations on starting a Vegan diet to lose weight?

Options
Any info on how many macros to have for losing weight on a vegan diet?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Are you already vegan or changing to a vegan diet with the intention of losing weight, your post isn't very clear?

As for macros, macros have no bearing on weight loss, calories are what matters. Macros are a personal preference for sustainability, satiety and nutrition.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Actually macros does matter, but not as much as total calories. The important thing is that you get enough protein, which should be roughly 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. Your lean body mass is the weight that is not fat, so that means that if you are around 25% bodyfat you will need 0.75*(your weight) grams of protein

Also make sure to eat complementing protein sources such as grains with legumes to get all the essential amino acids :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    Actually macros does matter, but not as much as total calories. The important thing is that you get enough protein, which should be roughly 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. Your lean body mass is the weight that is not fat, so that means that if you are around 25% bodyfat you will need 0.75*(your weight) grams of protein

Also make sure to eat complementing protein sources such as grains with legumes to get all the essential amino acids :)

Macro split does not affect weight loss, you can lose weight as long as your calories in are less than your calories out. I am not saying it's not important for health and nutrition which is what I clearly stated.

OP if you're not already vegan, do plenty of research before you switch, veganism can be done successfully if you ensure you're getting adequate vitamins, protein, fats and micronutrients. It might be advisable to start by switching to vegetarianism and gradually making the change to veganism, rather than making one big dramatic change.

If you're already vegan then the MFP default macros are fine, just ensure you get at least the very minimum in protein and fat and stick to a calorie deficit. Tweak as needed to feel full for longer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All you have to do to lose weight is watch how much vegetarian food you eat.

At first it will take some time to work through the meal planning to make sure you are getting all the nutrition you need.

Getting enough protein is probably the toughest.

I used to follow the protein combining rules for years and then I found out it that’s been debunked. As long as you get a varied diet the body works out the rest by itself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegans lose weight the same way non-vegans do -- through a calorie deficit. If you aren't already logging to hit a specific calorie goal, I suggest beginning there. Your needs for protein and fat don't change as a vegan, so starting with MFP's default macro goals and adjusting from there based on your preferences and how you feel may be a good place to start (it's what I did).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What you need to be is a vegan in a deficit.
    I must say: I worry when someone says they are "going vegan" to lose weight. It takes a bit of learning to be a well nourished vegan. It takes learning to be well nourished on any diet, frankly. Why make a BIG change right now?