Tips on how to stop nail biting

Options
megan_h26
megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
Do you still bite your nails? Do you have any tips on how to reduce it or stop it?

Replies

• Ron_in_NC
    Ron_in_NC Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't bite mine, but I have a habit of picking them, until I have the corners broken, and into the skin. Then, hurts for the next couple of weeks until they heal. :neutral:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Think of all the grossest things you touch in 1 day. Phone, door knobs, sink handles, toilets, other people's hands, then think about your fingers in your mouth. :grimace:
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I bought my son this nail polish called Mavala stop. Its a clear, matte polish so you can't see it and the taste is absolutely repulsive.

I tried it. It didn't work.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I still bite my nails but not nearly as much as I did before.

A couple things have cause me to stop. 1. I don't want to be the professional in the conference room with broken nails and bloody skin around the cuticles. 2 I told my boyfriend to tell me to stop every time I was doing it. I realized what triggers by desire to do it and stopped (kind of like dieting).

I also will paint my nails or get them professionally done and that forces me to not eat my investment.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I bought my son this nail polish called Mavala stop. Its a clear, matte polish so you can't see it and the taste is absolutely repulsive.

I kind of did the same thing. Used to bite my nails. Then my daughter started doing my nails for me and putting clear polish on. It worked. I don't bite my nails any more and I don't need the clear polish any more either.

Funny thing happened while this was going on. I changed jobs. Took managerial position in a Foundry. Very macho place. I was standing in my bosses doorway talking about something. I had only been there about a month. I saw his eyes keep going to my hands. He finally asked, "Are you wearing nail polish?" Me: "Yep. Is that a problem?" Him: "Nope" Never came up again.
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    z6y4oxbkavg8.gif
    I think I’ve solved your problem.
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    gwebbie wrote: »
    Hi Megan

Biting your nails is a habit. All habits can be broken or changed by unlearning the habit. In other words you learnt to bite your nails so you can unlearn to bite them for good.

I can help you with this, This can be done over Skype.

Let me know if you are interested in finding out more.

Regards

Gary
    7ugb6t5vnrzz.gif

This discussion has been closed.