How to Make Sure Your Whey is Good Quality

Options
An interesting article from rippedbody.com on how to judge the qualiity of protein powders.
https://rippedbody.com/protein-powder-scams/

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sadly how many people think protien powder is only about the protien and not the leucine that drives muscle synthesis.

Good content in article.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Awesome article. Thanks for sharing.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Whenever someone talked about “good quality protein” I had wondered how possible it was to get “bad quality protein”. This explains it. Reminds me of the melamine in baby formula catastrophe.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Interesting article, will prompt me to do some more research. However to me it seemed like a thinly veiled ad. The author only mentions 1 brand of protein that hits his criteria. I noticed in the comments section someone asked for a list of 10 or so products that met his criteria and he skirted the question.

In addition, looking at the author's biography there is not mention of ANY training/education in nutrition, exercise science or any science at all. He doesn't provide any sources for what he's stating.

I'd look at something from Precision Nutrition (John Berardi), Alan Argdon, etc. on the topic.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I added leucine to my home made Soylent formula (as per instructions) and I swear it turns my pee blue. Probably don’t need that much.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Interesting article, will prompt me to do some more research. However to me it seemed like a thinly veiled ad. The author only mentions 1 brand of protein that hits his criteria. I noticed in the comments section someone asked for a list of 10 or so products that met his criteria and he skirted the question.

In addition, looking at the author's biography there is not mention of ANY training/education in nutrition, exercise science or any science at all. He doesn't provide any sources for what he's stating.

I'd look at something from Precision Nutrition (John Berardi), Alan Argdon, etc. on the topic.

Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum of Barbellmedicine has written and lectured on the benefit's of leucine in more depth than this article. I believe he has a Bachelor of Science in Biology, as well as a Master of Science in Anatomy and Physiology to go along with his Doctorate in Medicine. His views which are always backed by data unless stated fall in line with this article.

Here is a older article he wrote that is in more depth though I forgot if the sources are listed.

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/7-rules-to-optimize-protein-intake/

You can ask him for sources, and he will be happy to spout of everyone...lol. He is a very knowledgeable strong powerlifter.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Dr. Jordan Feigenbaum of Barbellmedicine has written and lectured on the benefit's of leucine in more depth than this article. I believe he has a Bachelor of Science in Biology, as well as a Master of Science in Anatomy and Physiology to go along with his Doctorate in Medicine. His views which are always backed by data unless stated fall in line with this article.

Here is a older article he wrote that is in more depth though I forgot if the sources are listed.

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/7-rules-to-optimize-protein-intake/

You can ask him for sources, and he will be happy to spout of everyone...lol. He is a very knowledgeable strong powerlifter.

Nice. Thanks for the link.