Do you ever feel guilty?

Options
Half the world is starving, and we're stuffing our faces to feed our own vanity. I know I feel guilty sometimes. I guess one-third of the food grown in the world gets thrown away anyway, so if nobodies gonna feed the poor we might as well eat it so it doesn't go to waste, right?

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I sometimes hear that grandma voice "Children in China are starving...don't waste that food" in my head.

But I find that making donations to food shelfs and other food charities--that actually GET food to people in need--helps quell that voice. So I don't overeat and I can let it go.

Here's one of my favorite, and it's free: https://thehungersite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ths/home;jsessionid=4453D3F889F19032C92EDA78F133D891?1
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Working to reduce food waste is important, environmentally. There are lots of great programs and organizations working to redirect surplus food to communities with need. The best thing to do is to only purchase what you need and use what you do buy. Over-buying encourages over-production which isn't helpful.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/initiatives/food-waste

That said, I work to reduce my own food waste and support programs that feed those in need. I don't feel guilty for eating what I need. We all do our part, but no one person can fix a problem on their own.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have to say not one time I have been eating in a surplus I have never felt guilty. And its not just for vanity sake, I am old so this is a very worthy cause, my health and its fun. We all spend money on things we enjoy don't we?

I will say my husband comments on the amount of food and says its like feeding growing teenagers all over again. :wink:
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat this vegan pizza, who will?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Not one bit. I do feel blessed to live in a first world country where I don't have worry about my next meal. I make donations to my charities of choice, because I am able to.

<3
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    i've always felt not to waste food. My family escaped Hungary during the revolution & before that would stand in long lines to get food. Although I was a baby & don't remember that, I always had to eat everything on my plate. When my kids were small I worked for the school district & picked up extra hours by monitoring in the cafeteria during lunch. It bothered me so much all the food thrown out & had to stop working during lunch. I was always afraid of going hungry one of these days. I've learned to let go with the help of my kids so now a days, especially since mfp where I don't want to eat things I don't really like & use calories, we do get rid of things.We give them to our neighbor or our grown kids or our dogs, so it's not really wasted
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Vanity? I’m stuffing my face to fuel physical performance. Narcissistic maybe, but vain? Not so much.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat less because of vanity, not more. I'm more careful about how much I eat because of vanity and my diet is more planned, making food purchases planned. I generally only buy what I need, and make use of anything that looks like its not going to last (my freezer has a lot of random odds and ends...).

I don't feel guilty about eating. I dislike that local supermarkets won't drastically reduce items if they are "use by" the day of purchase, throwing them away instead. Surely it makes more sense to sell them for a minimal amount, make some money, and reduce waste?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty about eating. I do dislike food waste and that makes me feel guilty.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    As long as I am within my calories, I never feel guilty. Even on the little occasions where I eat like a pig, I still don't feel guilty because I know how this game is played after 5 years of tracking macros...and I can't feel guilty for other people less fortunate than us, because that's something I have no control of, the only thing I can control is what my body needs to perform optimally. At least I am not wasting any food like I see people doing. I remember when I went on a cruise, it's incredible the amound of food wasting I saw. That part is what I find irritating.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    "The poor will always be with you." -- Jesus
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty about food waste from an environmental perspective. I've felt guilty about it for a while but just in the last couple weeks have started to talk to my family about it frequently. Myself, my husband and my daughter each pick up groceries whenever we want, and each cook when we want, making enough for everyone of course. Often it works out, but at least some of the time we can't keep up to the fresh food in the fridge or to the leftovers or both. As a starting point, we're trying to communicate better, and make better use of the freezer (although I just emptied IT out, food waste there too).

I'd LOVE to hear from others how they minimize food waste at their house.