Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Facts or Hacks?

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If I want nutritional advice, I want to talk to a licensed dietitian who has an advanced degree in that area.

If I want activity advice I want to talk to a trainer/coach who also has an advanced degree in exercise science or kinesiology

I agree to a point.

I think in this day and age we all have to do our own research, hard as it can be sometimes and be as informed as possible.

I've gone to all the people you've mentioned above... some have been wonderful.... some were walk away and don't look back scary.

Well, yes... you have to be discerning...i think that's a given.

But I do think most actual dieticians (Not nutritionists) and trainers who have education in exercise science and kinesiology and not just a certificate are usually pretty good... at least the ones I've come across.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I am sure it depends on the person, but the chiropractor I went to was trying to get me to buy stuff for the HCG diet,....nope!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I got lucky ... my chiropractor is a registered dietician as well. She said that while adjustments, etc. help, that working on the inside is important too. She knows much more about eating plans than my doctor does. She makes my eyes glaze sometimes because she gets down to a chemical and cellular level about stuff. I just tell her ... in redneck language please!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If I want nutritional advice, I want to talk to a licensed dietitian who has an advanced degree in that area.

If I want activity advice I want to talk to a trainer/coach who also has an advanced degree in exercise science or kinesiology

I agree to a point.

I think in this day and age we all have to do our own research, hard as it can be sometimes and be as informed as possible.

I've gone to all the people you've mentioned above... some have been wonderful.... some were walk away and don't look back scary.

Yep and from what I see the legit ones are all directionally similar in their advice. Assuming a healthy individual, 80-90% of food from nutritionally dense foods,, mostly compound mines for strength training, etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    nutrofight wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of scientism in here.

In Ferro Veritas.

I'm From Missouri
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    I appreciate those articles and I did learn some new things.

However, I do not see an issue with someone using acupuncture as a way to treat their back pain or other condition if they feel that it helps them and it is not harming them. If someone tells me they had so much back pain but started doing acupuncture and the pain went away, I am certainly not going to tell them that it’s a sham and quackery and that the only benefit is all in their head.

I understand the point you are trying to make is there is no benefit between the placebo and treatment. The point I am trying to make is that because people perceived their condition improved, it did, and isn’t that the whole goal of treatment? If someone really believes their condition improves, what would be the purpose of trying to convince someone it is quackery, their pain will come back and now we are back to square one? For this reason I don’t see acupuncture as quackery, yes I think a lot of the benefit is in someone’s head, but that doesn’t matter to me because as those studies you linked showed their conditions/pain improved. I can understand why you see it as quackery because there the placebo/treatment were so similar. We will have to agree to disagree.

I would take an issue with any chiropractor trying to sell expensive acupuncture treatments to people or harming someone with shoddy acupuncture. Unless a treatment is harming someone or bleeding them dry financially, I have no issue with people exploring alternative treatments if their current regime is not working.

I am also not surprised about the results in “Components of placebo effect: randomized controlled trial in patients with irritable bowel syndrome”. Health care professionals strive to develop a therapeutic relationship with their patients. If anything it should be a larger selling point for health care providers to treat patients with warmth, attention, and confidence because this is an easy intervention that will yield better outcomes.