Anyone get hungry when you are tired?

Options
I unfortunately didn’t get enough sleep last night and today I have noticed I am seriously ravenous. I have had plenty of protein. I am allowing myself some extra calories. Just curious if anyone else experiences this when they are tired?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep. Worked nightshift for years and would definitely snack when tired.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Yup. Much harder to make healthier decisions too.
  • hauntedreverie
    hauntedreverie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard from a friend that when you're sleep deprived, you crave carb-heavy foods and it definitely would explain a lot for me
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yup! Being tired actually messes with your hormones (leptin and ghrelin) to make you hungry, so in some sense its a good sign that your body is doing what it is supposed to. Just a bummer when you're trying to diet of course
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yes! If I don’t get enough sleep I am hungry all day.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely! I always thought it was the body's way of trying to make up for low energy. From what other posters have said, this seems true.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes--if I don't get enough sleep or poor sleep, I'll be ravenously hungry the next day.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    A combination of compensating for lack of energy trying to feel better and feeling sorry for yourself all tied up together with a lesser ability to make good decisions and stand your ground
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. And I want to shove carbs in my face.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm the opposite. When I'm tired, I'm just tired and usually don't want to do anything, including eat. I think my body is focused more on staying awake and less on being hungry.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes. The other week I pulled 48hrs with 4hrs rest in between. I compensated with cookies, lots of cookies.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    YES! It's like my body is desperate for energy from somewhere!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    A combination of compensating for lack of energy trying to feel better and feeling sorry for yourself all tied up together with a lesser ability to make good decisions and stand your ground

2zillion% this.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yep. I have fatigue issues due to illness and that definitely doesn't help my weight. (It always seems so reasonable to go for the sugar to perk myself up!) I have also read that insomniacs tend to be heavier than people who sleep well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat more when tired. Not only that! I also have worse disinhibition (basically register higher levels on the IDGAF meter).
  • daniel_constance
    daniel_constance Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Being tired definatly hinders my ablity to stay in control of my eatting as well as other emotional aspects of life. So I stay mindful of it.I wouldn't allow extra calories or snacks. I would actually try to get short bursts of excersise and more water. Or a power meditation. 10 mins plugged into soothing music with your eyes closed can help more than you think. I dont sleep well in general so getting enough sleep is one of my goals this year.