Does this sound good? (Recipe Opinion)

Options
I want to throw two chicken breasts into the crockpot, seasoned with salt and pepper, onion powder and lime juice. Then smother them in salsa, whole kennel corn and diced avocado. Cook until falling apart and serve over brown rice. Sound good? Is that too long to cook avocado? Opinions please.

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    sounds great over white rice
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think I would wait and put the avocado on it when you serve it, but it sounds good!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think I would wait and put the avocado on it when you serve it, but it sounds good!

This and maybe add a little chili powder and cumin :) Sounds yummy!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Here in Mexico cooking instructions always tell people to not cook lemon juice and/or avocado. They both do not well in heat.
    They are always added right before serving which gives the food a much fresher taste.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I make something similar. Generally I use 6 or 8 chicken breasts, still frozen, toss in my homemade no salt taco seasoning which is just dried oregano, cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic powder, black pepper, and a dash of cinnamon. Then add frozen corn kernels, rinsed and drained black beans, diced onion and bell peppers, a can of Rotel tomatoes with chiles or a diced jalapeno. I cook it till it's all easily shredded and either serve with rice or use it to make burrito type wraps. I'd suggest topping it with the avocado, but I've never really used avocado in a cooked preparation before.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't cook the avocado with the dish, but serve it with it. Use white rice, not brown and don't season the chicken with lime juice while cooking.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It sounds tasty, but that might indeed be too long to cook avocado. I suggest leaving the avocado out of the slow-cooker, and just top the chicken with fresh slices of that, and a spritz of the lemon juice (also omit from the slowcooker) when you serve it up. The concoction you've suggested would also make a great filling for tacos or quesadillas; use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, if you go that route.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't cook the avocado with the dish, but serve it with it. Use white rice, not brown and don't season the chicken with lime juice while cooking.

Lime juice is fine, as is brown rice if you enjoy brown rice. Some people just prefer white. Either will work.
  • kellyyaris
    kellyyaris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ALL of this sounds really good! I agree that the lemon and avocado should be added before serving. I might even make this today :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Sounds good I'm going to make it.Thanks
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

This and maybe add a little chili powder and cumin :) Sounds yummy!

Dito! I wouldn't cook the avocado and cummin is fantastic!