lower back injury

Options
Hi, I started cardio workouts and stretches two weeks ago, have been working out for 30-50 minutes . I bent to pick up a heavy carton of milk and I had a splitting pain in my lower back. I had a lower back injury 8 months ago which was recovered by 3 weeks of bed rest. I now have pain in moving, standing. Is it just a muscle tear cuz iv been working out recently? Im scared. Also suggest what workout should i do which doesnt affect my back. Is walking gonna be helpful ( once iv recovered)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor or physio
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, go see the doctor asap to be sure. These things should be treated carefully! I would avoid any hard exercise until you do, but maybe do something very light to get blood flowing like low resistance exercise bike with you heartrate around 135 if it doesn't hurt your back.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    First, stop stressing your back. No lifting. Be careful bending and particularly avoid twisting. Stay on your feet as much as possible. Gentle walking helps if you can manage it.

Then, see a Dr. Not a physio, chiro, or any other kind of therapist. A real doctor.

Minor injuries can take 6-12 weeks to heal. Do the wrong thing now and you could be in for years of it (25 years in my case).

Good luck.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    First, stop stressing your back. No lifting. Be careful bending and particularly avoid twisting. Stay on your feet as much as possible. Gentle walking helps if you can manage it.

Then, see a Dr. Not a physio, chiro, or any other kind of therapist. A real doctor.

Minor injuries can take 6-12 weeks to heal. Do the wrong thing now and you could be in for years of it (25 years in my case).

Good luck.

Second and third see a doctor do no more exercising till you do then you'll have a plan of attack. I've had back issues for years and it is so demoralizing once you get cleared from a doctor yoga has done wonders for my back but see the doctor it's not worth doing permanent damage and avoiding anything.