Healthy bolognaise sauce

Options
Pastaprincess1978
Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
Hi all - this is an oldie but a goodie I wanted to share. So healthy too. I am currently living in China and limited in the old food options that I had access to at home - this has been a blessing and a curse! I'm now committing to the blessing side and trying to make my own food using fresh ingredients - in this instance making my own pasta sauce instead of pouring it on. This will make a batch big enough to feed a family of 4 two times (8 portions) if you serve with steamed vegetables (I use brocolli and cauliflower). I find it very filling

Boil 500g pasta to al dente - include a few drops of olive oil so it doesn't stick

In a large wok or deep sided sauce pan brown 500g lean beef with a dash of olive oil and 1/2 a glass of red wine. Add chopped garlic to taste (I use a whole bulb!). Dice finely 2 or 3 large carrots and 2 large red capsicums and add these in. Stir over gentle heat until carrots are just soft enough to stick a fork in. Then add at least 10 finely chopped tomatoes - this seems like a lot but these, the carrots and the capsicum really work to keep the calories down and bulk up the dish. Stir over medium heat until the tomatoes are all soft. You can add other herbs such as basil or rosemary to taste - my kids prefer just the garlic. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar and stir. Cook another minute or so then turn off the head and stir in all the pasta. You may prefer to put the pasta on plates first then add the sauce - I do it all in the one pan just before serving as I keep half the recipe for the next day - it's even better re-heated on the stove top!

Adding a small sprinkle of parmesan cheese won't add too many calories either. About 1600 kilojoules (metric) per serve. You could make this even less if you used zuccini (corgette) instead of pasta.

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Needs more meat, otherwise sounds like a basic spaghetti sauce.

• amgpaints
    amgpaints Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can just use any kind of meat sauce recipe as long as you use lean meat/poultry sausage.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Is it an Italian or French recipe?

I'm sorry, I had to!

I'm half Italian, grew up with the old school Italian grandmother. Can...not...modify...bolognese...EVER. Just eat it sparingly.
    These other people will help you out : )

(I almost always use 1/3 beef, 1/3 veal, 1/3 pork/pancetta).

Get a really good aged parmesan. Please. I'm living vicariously through you. :kissing_heart:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

I'm sorry, I had to!

I'm half Italian, grew up with the old school Italian grandmother. Can...not...modify...bolognese...EVER. Just eat it sparingly.

Get a really good aged parmesan. Please. I'm living vicariously through you. :kissing_heart:

I'm not Italian but I agree the Italian way is the only way :smiley: I enjoy it but keep my portions small.
  • goatg
    Options
    Needs more meat, otherwise sounds like a basic spaghetti sauce.

Where's the onion? Celery? Wine? Milk?

My eyes are sweating more than OP's would-be vidalias/cippolinis...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I had to!

I typically just call mine 'meat sauce', lol.

Too hard/expensive to find veal here unfortunately. But I really miss the Bolognese I used to get in Italian restaurants in Europe. Can't say I found one as tasty here in the US.
  • goatg
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm sorry, I had to!

I typically just call mine 'meat sauce', lol.

Too hard/expensive to find veal here unfortunately. But I really miss the Bolognese I used to get in Italian restaurants in Europe. Can't say I found one as tasty here in the US.

Hey, and if that's what it is, nothing wrong with a little meat ragu!

I grew up in an Italian household with the token Italian grandmother, but in California where I knew literally one other Italian kid my whole childhood. I will never forget when I moved to New York City, went grocery shopping in West Side Market, and found a singular pack of 3 ground meat patties with literally 1/3 veal, 1/3 pork, 1/3 beef. I felt that I had come home, and may have audibly murmured, "my people.."

Where in the US are you?