Cereal

Options
whocares2018
whocares2018 Posts: 25 Member
I normally never eat cereal just because me and milk don’t get along lol and I don’t always have my almond breeze milk on hand. But I’m going shopping this weekend just wondering if there is some “healthy cereal”. Trying to mix up my breakfast as well I eat the same damn thing every day...

Replies

• AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cold cereal And milk of choice is like a snack for me...I'm always hungry after. Lots of vitamins added to most cereals tho. My favorite is Quaker Honey Oh's...I can eat them till the roof of my mouth bleeds...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you specify what you mean by "healthy" (people can use the word in many different ways), you may get some better suggestions.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of cereal, but now I tend to save it more as an indulgence or snack, as it has high calories (at least the amount I want to eat does!) and is not satiating for me. Shredded wheat, frosted mini wheats, cheerios, raisin bran and such (also oatmeal) are a great source of fiber, if that is what you mean by healthy, and you are not getting enough in your diet. If you are pouring on a nut milk, you're not getting the added boost of calcium and protein that are other healthy puzzle pieces, but you also have lower calories.

I have replaced my cereal with assorted egg dishes (scrambled eggs with lots of salsa, or quiche, or a breakfast sandwich with fried egg, slice of cheese, canadian bacon and hot sauce, or eggs benedict) along with a piece of fruit.

If you can tolerate yogurt, since the milk has been pre-digested, you might want to consider plain Greek yogurt with just a touch of cereal or granola and honey on the top. Its a great protein boost--and again, a piece of fruit on the side.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean. Has good amount of protein, fiber and vitamins to make it worthwhile to me.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Today I had Post Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love HoneyNut Cheerios, always have been my favorite and now it comes in gluten free!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I normally never eat cereal just because me and milk don’t get along lol and I don’t always have my almond breeze milk on hand. But I’m going shopping this weekend just wondering if there is some “healthy cereal”. Trying to mix up my breakfast as well I eat the same damn thing every day...

Since you and milk do not get along, have you ever tried using carrot juice.
    We started using carrot juice on our cereal where milk is used and it taste just fine.
    There is no hard and fast rule to say that cereal MUST have milk.
    Give it a try you will be surprised.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lactose-free milk? It has a sweet taste to it that goes well in cereal or coffee, tho I find it gross on its own.

I have had cereal with fruit juice on it instead of milk. It works.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Since bariatric surgery I don’t tolerate liquid milk very well. I’ve adapted my cereal to have it with yogurt.

My long years as a diabetic means I have a strong preference for cereals that are lower in sugar and higher in fiber. This includes oatmeal, Cheerios, and shredded wheat. I often add fruit like currants, raisins or frozen fruit.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love cereal! Sometimes with milk sometimes without. I sometimes eat heartier cereals (Raisin Bran, Frosted Mini Wheats) as a meal. I sometimes use sugary cereal (Honey Smacks, Special K Chocolate, etc.) as a dessert.