Can’t eat Veggies

Options
radtrae
radtrae Posts: 12 Member
I am currently having issues eating healthy. My calories are in check and I’m eating better, but I can’t eat vegetables. Yes, I love them but they make me ill. I used to have some that were safe to eat but now I can’t eat those either. How can I eat healthy without veggies?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Is cooked better for you than raw? Can you have soup rather than a salad?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor? Is it an anxiety thing?

I would say do some research about the nutrients you will be lacking and make every attempt to replace them somehow.

What about fruit? Are you able to eat fruit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ill in what way? Is it raw or cooked that give you issues? I can't eat a lot of raw veggies...I have no issues with cooked.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Just sticking around to see how veggies make you ill. Curious minds..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Take a multi vitamin
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Take a multi vitamin

+1
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You probably need to take fiber too, but that's a discussion you need to have with your dr, not us.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would hope you have at least one doctor trying to figure this out for you? "Veggies" is such a non-homogenous group of foods, it seems odd that all of them, regardless of preparation, would make you somehow ill.

There are certainly people out there who don't eat veggies. I would think you would risk some malnutrition issues, so I would make sure to eat a widely varied diet of everything other than veggies, take a multivitamin, and have blood work done to determine any deficiencies. And this should be going on while you continue to work with your doctor to determine the root cause of your symptoms.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low fat, low fibre because of gastroparesis and crohn's so veggies don't work well for me but I can eat cooked to death mashed carrots and squash no problem.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Can you give some more info about which veges have been making you ill, for example, leafy greens or potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants etc, and how they make you ill, e.g., stomach pain, bloating, rashes, diarrhea, lethargy, and whether or not they are organic. There are just so many possibilities without further info.
  • silviamartins
    silviamartins Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I hated veggies, my family rarely ate them and when they did it was tasteless and over boiled. My husband loves them and kept trying to get me to try them. Eventually I started to enjoy them, but not being used to eating veggies I was so bloated and sick adjusting to these new foods. Now I’m fine and my body adjusted.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you can’t really be fully healthy without at least some produce. :-(. If you want to try to get help from a doctor, you will likely need more information for her to help. But some ideas

How do you get sick? Nausea, bloating, pain, rashes, inflammation the next day? That can help you and doc figure out if it may be allergies vs food intolerances, chemical reactions, or a gut functioning issue.

1. Some conditions, like gastroparesis mentioned above, make it very hard to digest some foods - in that case, cooking well and/or blending them up- like in a smoothie, may make some digestible without pain.

2. Some intolerances involve substances that are common in a huge swath of veggies or fruits, like salicylates. I have heard high oxalates are hard for some people too. You can look up lists of safe and unsafe foods for these and see if they match up with your list, or if there might be a safe veggie you haven’t tries that endsbup working for you.

3. Some folks can develop a chemical sensitivity to some pesticides that are so commonly used that most store bought veggies will make you sick- finding a few farmers markets to track down pesticide free veggies to try can help you see if this was an issue.

4. Allergies are unlikely, as they usually follow food families ( like brassica or nightshade) but there would likely be some veggies ok in that case. Although mast cell activation disorder involves some crazy allergy like reactions to lots of food, so that might be worth checking out online. Somegood support groups to ask quetions to on facebook- check mcad or mast cell disorder.

5. Histamine intolerance might be worth exploring- some folks start being unable to break down histaming oroperly and mich food contains histamine so it can cause issues.

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In to know why veggies make you ill...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    all veggies? Also, what kind of sick?

I can't have romaine or iceberg lettuce, but am fine with dark greens. Green bell peppers make my lips and tongue tingle (which apparently is NOT supposed to happen) but yellow and red are fine.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using green supplements? I live in a really rural area and have a hard time keeping produce fresh in the winter and green supplements are what was recommended to me.