SEND HELP! Accidental Ketosis; can you reduce that "keto smell"

So I have a kind of gross question for any Keto people. I'm doing a cut for a weightlifting meet and unfortunately because it's sooner than initially planned I had to cut my calories kind of drastically (Note: still 1500-1700 calories so not a starvation cut) which leaves my carbs lower than ever as I usually eat 40%F/30%P/30%C. The last couple of weeks i've been noticing a funky mouth and body odor and since I NEVER have that issue I was wondering what the hell it could be.

In an attempt to find out why I examined my food log and realized that i'm netting less than 100g carbs daily, my appetite has been significantly reduced and i've had that clear mind feeling i've gotten when i've accidentally went into ketosis in the past so it's definitely ketosis. Being in Ketosis is never a goal of mine, my usual intake is approximately 800 more calories than at present so I normally eat significantly more carbs. Has anyone experience that keto odor? Is there anything to reduce it other than increasing carbs? I only have to cut for a few more weeks but as someone who never had to deal with any type of odor its driving me nuts.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I've never done keto, but a guy at work did it for awhile...he was pretty stinky.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Your carbs are probably on the edge, maybe swap a little fat for carbs? I don't know of any other option.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Go to a health/vitamin store. Pick up some chlorophyll tablets or liquid. Drink 1 TBS or two tablets once a day. It stops bad breath and body odor fast. Even regular smells.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've never done keto, but a guy at work did it for awhile...he was pretty stinky.

Haha it is pretty gross, guess I’m not lining up any dates during this cut lol.
  • Keladelphia
    Your carbs are probably on the edge, maybe swap a little fat for carbs? I don't know of any other option.

I did consider this but after several cuts for meets I’ve realized my body really does drop weight most quickly with this macros split. It’s such a short timeline to cut I’m reluctant to change them. I was just hoping someone would tell me something along the lines of “try this supplement” or “it goes away after a couple of weeks in ketosis”
  • Keladelphia
    Go to a health/vitamin store. Pick up some chlorophyll tablets or liquid. Drink 1 TBS or two tablets once a day. It stops bad breath and body odor fast. Even regular smells.

Thanks so much I’ll definitely look into it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

That's pretty much it.

It doesn't go away(for me) until I come out of ketosis.

You could try different sorts of protein.

For me, Tuna/chicken were less smelly than beef/bacon.
  • Keladelphia

That's pretty much it.

Oh sheesh. I’m only eating poultry and fish at the moment. I can’t even imagine what the red meat smell would be
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

That's pretty much it.

Oh sheesh. I’m only eating poultry and fish at the moment. I can’t even imagine what the red meat smell would be

Eggs? Broccoli? Other possible sources of sulfur or sulfates/sulfites?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Just suggestions:

I know you said you don't want to add carbs. What about sipping on g2 or Gatorade. Liquid carbs. Or maybe have some fruit? Just a small change to get out of ketosis.

It sounds like you want to stay in keto until your meet though. I get it.

I wish you success in your meet.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Blended parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt - I make up a batch about once a week and eat it by the spoonful with every meal. Helps a lot.
  • Keladelphia

That's pretty much it.

Eggs? Broccoli? Other possible sources of sulfur or sulfates/sulfites?

Thanks I’m definitely eating a bunch of high sulfur foods so I’ll look to reduce them in an effort to reduce it.
  • Keladelphia
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Just suggestions:

I know you said you don't want to add carbs. What about sipping on g2 or Gatorade. Liquid carbs. Or maybe have some fruit? Just a small change to get out of ketosis.

It sounds like you want to stay in keto until your meet though. I get it.

I wish you success in your meet.

I might end up doing this, at least until the week of the meet when I’ll almost have to virtually eliminate them for the water cut. And thank you!
  • Keladelphia
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Blended parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt - I make up a batch about once a week and eat it by the spoonful with every meal. Helps a lot.

Awesome this sounds like a tasty addition to meals anyway :)