Got to sort myself out somehow.

Options
Hi
I was 52 yesterday going through the dreaded menopause plus I have degenerative disc disease so between hormones and not been able to exercise much the pounds are piling on and I hate myself.
I've tried to loose weight before but that was when I was with my ex husband who didn't help me at all. My new partner is wonderful and I know I'm in a better head space to try and see this through. I need to as I can see it starting to affect my health.
I'm paid up at the moment and have been for eight weeks as I have two slipped discs so I know progress is going to be slow but fingers crossed.

Replies

• lesleytate133
    lesleytate133 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That should say laid up not paid up
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to lose as we age - don't wait too long to lose weight. Hanging skin is no party.
  • lesleytate133
    lesleytate133 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Never even thought about hanging skin. I'm ok with the eating part I can control that it's the exercising that gets me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have had lumbar degenerative disc disease since my 20s. Have you tried physical therapy? That is generally the best treatment, even if it doesn't make the pain go away quickly. I also loved deep water aerobics, although getting out of the pool was a *kitten*.

For the weight, the important thing is what you eat. See how easy that is to say! When you aren't doing anything, possibly loopy on meds, and can't stand in the kitchen long enough to cut up an onion, it is anything but easy! I once started a fire trying to cook while loopy. Tell your partner how you want to eat, make a shopping list and tell them that the comfort foods are actually making you miserable. Find a way to deal with everything else (the boredom, the frustration, etc.) That doesn't involve food. I spend a lot of time reading these forums, and in the past have watched weight loss shows. These methods remind you why you aren't turning to Ben & Jerry's for comfort.

It also helps me to identify when I can have my treats. ie, I can have higher carbs than usual if I walk more than 10k steps, as long as I stay within my calories goal for the day. Now, that means I can't have ice cream when I am laid up, because I can't walk half that much. But it also means I will get to have it again within my plan.
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have heard that aquatic exercise is great for people with back injuries. I don't have too much experience with it, but it might be worth calling some pools in your area to find out if there are any classes.
  • saymyname2
    saymyname2 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    A few years ago i ended up breaking my back and slipping a number of dics. When I started on my weight loss journey I thought I would never be able to exercise because of the pain and nerve damage. For me yoga worked wonders!!! I was able to slowly gain strength and flexibility in my back. I also do low impact exercising, The key is to just start moving. You'll get there in the end as long as you dont give up!

Good Luck to you! I hope you reach all your goals big or small!! <3