How do you guys stay motivated to go to the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I remind myself of what the result will be if I don't go (or workout at home).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't need motivation. It makes me more upset to not go to the gym. I built that habit years ago, it took understanding what I like and training for specificity.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    zoedorman wrote: »
    Some days it feels like I just can't get up :( How do you guys stay motivated? Or is it more about discipline than motivation?

I love to workout and I can be a gym rat if I don't listen to my body, aches and pain (I am old :'( ). My interest in exercising to keep my body active and fit is my motivation. Besides, it gets me out of the house and I get a"me" time. Win-win.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If going to the gym is important to you, you find a way and you make it happen. You either want it or you don't.

If you'd rather work out at home, same thing. Cancel the gym membership and make it happen.

Excuses don't give results; and if you want to workout, you'll do it.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I started by going 7 days a week, mostly doing the elliptical and weights every other day until it became a habit. Unfortunately while walking the dog I injured my ankle again. Now I am in a walking boot and am limitted to weight lifting and walking. I found out that I really miss doing the elliptical. I guess the trick is to do it enough until it becomes a habit. One thing I found out was that after starting to exercise and lose weight I had more energy and needed something to do with that extra energy. Going to the gym was it for me. The other thing is find something you really enjoy doing or if not enjoy can tolerate enough to make it a habit. Results such as inches and pounds lost are good motivators also.
  • WFOtwitch2
    WFOtwitch2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pre workout... lol honestly that's it... I get home from work late, usually around 7 pm, if I drink pre workout and don't work out 1.5-2 hrs I don't sleep that night lol so literally all I need to do is get that drink down and I'm committed
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just set my alarm and when it goes off in the morning, I put on my gym clothes and go. Only person who can make you go is yourself!
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    ponytails
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Right now it's the fact that i paid 65 to join and it's 50 to cancel the membership.
  • kb7202017
    kb7202017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Other than the things people have already said remember, it takes 21 days to break or create a new habit (not sure if this is actually true, but I've always heard it. haha.)

Other than that, I once saw a post that said something along the lines of "remember, exercise should be a celebration of what your body can do, not punishment for what you've eaten." and its so true.
  • Nathanmmx
    Nathanmmx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I compromise, I like ice cream but I also like the cross trainer so if I have a treat/cheat dinner and dessert I will calculate the calories I am over for the day and burn that amount (plus a staggered penalty) on the cross trainer over a day or a few days and thus enjoy the best of both worlds, yummy treats and getting fitter too :)
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get out of the door but once I'm there I enjoy it. I try to remember how great I feel once I've gone and remind myself that I've never regretted going, but I've regretted not going. I also think of the wasted money if I don't make the most of my membership!

I think the key is finding somethi g that fits on with your routine and other priorities. If it's too much aggregation, you'll easily talk yourself put of going!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Set goals beyond weight loss.

Make them SMART.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria

Specific – target a specific area for improvement.
    Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress.
    Assignable – specify who will do it.
    Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.
    Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's habit, you get pretty used to going and then when you don't go you feel a little guilty or down, which may not be the best motivator but sometimes it is!
    Try and think of what your working towards, if its to be healthier, feel better, look better, whatever your reason was for starting in the first place try and remember that!
    If the gym setting is getting you kinda down with the concrete walls and sweat smell try even just taking a jog or walk outside for a change every once in a while! Getting any kind of movement in is always better than nothing :smile:
    But really your motivation has to come from your mind set, if you really wanna reach goals it helps to make weight loss your life style so everyday you know it's just something you have to do, not just something you have the option to do.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use to run in the mornings but that was when I weighed less. I find it that going to the gym during prime gym time in the evening is a good motivator because you see a lot of people there and it's fun people watching during your rests. Otherwise, I cannot get up in the AM anymore
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you can't get up, maybe an early morning workout isn't for you. Maybe you're better off going during a lunch break or after work or even once on the weekend and once during the week.