"Stomach Cleanse..."

Options
Hi all! I have a general question. I need to flush my stomach out because I've been eating really poor and my bowels are reflecting just that. Nonetheless, I'm just trying to clean out my stomach to clear up my bowels that way I can get back on track. My question is: what would be your recommendation for a holistic flush? I'm not looking to lose weight as a result of a "detox" or some "fad". Just something that will help me clean up over the course of a few days so I can clean up my eating act. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Replies

• Ayesha0624
    Ayesha0624 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you're constipated?

Not constipated....more like sticky (sorry TMI)
  • Ayesha0624
    Ayesha0624 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Add fiber to your diet, drink plenty of water, and make sure you get some fat.

I think I need to increase my fiber intake...I started eating (quaker) oatmeal packets for breakfast but it hasn't really helped.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How much fiber do you get per day?

Recommendation is 25-30g per day (depends who you ask).

If it's less than that, start scaling the amounts slowly (don't try to go from 0 to 30 in one step. That's asking for trouble. Your digestive system needs time to adapt).

Rule of thumb:
    3 servings of veggies
    2 servings of fruits
    3 servings of whole grain products (including legumes).

So right now you have 1 serving of the latter (oats).

How many servings of fruits and veggies do you eat in a normal day?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ayesha0624 wrote: »
    Add fiber to your diet, drink plenty of water, and make sure you get some fat.

I think I need to increase my fiber intake...I started eating (quaker) oatmeal packets for breakfast but it hasn't really helped.

Only ~3g of fiber in one of those. I just had one.

First comment is to switch out something on the main food list for fiber. You probably don't need to watch sodium, so swap it for fiber.

I have a couple apples a day. That gets me about 13g of fiber and well on my way to hitting between 35 and 40. Have a look at my diary if you want as I've had a good week for fiber.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    All Bran Buds
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just start eating better. It'll work itself out. Literally.

This^

Start eating better today.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    While I do believe that changing the diet for the better with simply focusing on good fiber and water intake will work it out, there are some items that can help in the interim. I use a vitamin supplement that helps clear out build up from the intestines; it helped me a lot after having my hysterectomy. There are certain vitamins that can help with stool softening and such but for them to work, you still need to drink around 100oz of water a day and get ample fiber. I can give my personal top recommendation privately if you wish, just PM. NO, it is not ACV or any of the other woo that gets passed around on here.
    The problem here is asking for a stomach cleanse. The stomach doesn't hold onto anything unless you have an illness. The build up is in the intestines and the only way to move it out is to let fiber-rich foods scrape it out. Oats are good for cholesterol but they are not actually a very high fiber food. If you want something that is super high fiber in one serving for breakfast, you're better off using a serving of Fiber One cereal, adding Benefiber to your milk, or using one of the almond milk varieties that has extra fiber added.

Personally, I have at least 1 20oz water beverage a day that has 6 tsp of Benefiber in it. This gets you a third of the way to your fiber goal for the day and 1/5 of the way to the water intake. For me, it's super important because I had a gastric bypass and my hysterectomy so bowel peristalsis can be difficult at times. As weird as it sounds, if you need assistance with pooping, WLS patients are going to have some of the best tips. I have several options at the ready... Just hesitant to provide them here for the possibility of getting trampled. ha!

Fishy

How is giving recommendations about high fiber diets a fishy post?