I dont even know where to begin!

Options
I weighed myself today for the first time in a long while...i expected 265-270 and already wanted to lose....the scale flashed 300 to me....how did i let myself get this far out???

did an hour of exercise drank water had a small lunch, but i am afraid ill drop back into old eating habits and food i love...

Im worried that if i go to hard that ill knock my back out ( it has happened in past) and for my size i need all the help I can get....

Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do it all at once. Find the right calorie intake for yourself, exercise (and find exercises that won't impact your back i.e. treadmill or bike or swimming??. It will come off it just won't happen in a week. You won't be perfect, nobody is but if you are on track a lot more often than not, it will come off! Hang tough and you will get this done!:happy:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Don't go hard! Take baby steps. I personally, started by not eating things high in carbs. I slowly took out sodas, white bread, pastas and I walked everyday. It doesn't have to be 5 miles. I would walk a mile. And the next week had another lap. It didn't take weeks or months to get where yo're at, it took years. Don't expect too much too fast. Also you have to retrain you brain which was the hardest for me. Good luck!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    start slow! Walking is great to begin with - you can start walking slowly and get faster as the lbs start to shed - It doesn't take long before you see and feel a difference which is why I love walking! Of course, after awhile you need to do more but at least it's a great start!

Good luck! We are here to cheer you on!
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Baby steps turn it all around! I was just in your position a while ago but firstly... get into the mind set. Know what you want and grasp for it! you rule your life and not your food or anything else. you be the boss! and slowly wean yourself off those unhealthy food and learn some healthy delicious food while working up to more and more exercise. You'll find something you really love to do and then when you do it you wont want to stop even though you are feeling the burn haha. Keep going! Were all here for you!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Finding out you're 30lbs heavier than you expected to be is quite a shock, and very discouraging. Please don't let it send you into a panic to drop weight as fast as possible though. You've tried to do this before, so why not take this opportunity to do things differently this time, and have real success?

If you cut out the foods you love, you're extremely likely to give in at some point and eat them again, quite possibly in a binge type situation, or on your way off "the wagon". You absolutely do not have to give up the foods you love in order to lose weight. I think you're actually more likely to be successful if you can incorporate those foods into your diet, and learn to enjoy them in moderation. Have a browse of the success stories, and you'll find a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight, while still eating all their favourite foods. That's the beauty of calorie counting: no foods are off limits, you can just learn to fit them into your overall diet. You can absolutely make changes to the foods you eat if you want to, but try to make small, gradual changes that you know you can live with long-term. Just as an example, I still eat white bread and pasta (regularly), chocolate (daily), cheese (daily), pizza, bacon, burgers, ice cream etc. I'm not saying you have to eat any of those, but you definitely can, and still get in shape.

If you overdo the exercise from the start, you are likely (especially with your history of injury) to injure yourself. You don't have to start off doing the most intense exercise possible. In fact, you don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. I'm not discouraging it; I thoroughly recommend exercise for fitness and for overall physical and mental health. The priority for weight loss is creating a calorie deficit though, and that can be done with diet alone. I would recommend starting off slowly with something gentle like walking, swimming, yoga etc. Build up your fitness levels gradually. Don't do more than your body can handle. Equally important: find things that you really enjoy doing, so exercise isn't a chore. I started just with walking and cycling (stationary bike). I dropped the cycling because I didn't enjoy it, and eventually added in strength training and running. Running has become something I love, so I feel motivated to do it even on days that I couldn't care less about calorie burn. As and when you feel you can, definitely add in some resistance or strength training. I'm sure that will be helpful for your chosen career too.

Finally, accept that this is going to take some time. It's going to be boring at times, and hard. You won't always feel motivated, which is why it's important to create habits that you can fall back on. You don't have to lose 70 lbs by next month, in fact that would be a really bad idea. Look at what you can achieve over the next year, or two. And realise that it doesn't end when you reach your goal weight. This is a long-term thing. So don't let yourself get in a panic because of the number you saw on the scale. Look at this as a new beginning, with no deadline. This is the start of a new you, it's actually pretty exciting. :flowerforyou:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    One of the things that always ended in failure with me was wanting to jump right into the deep end..."I'm going to drink all my water, workout for an hour every day, never ever go over my calories, and never ever have stuff I shouldn't have ever again!!" Well, that just set me up for failure on NUMEROUS occasions.

I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale 2 years ago and saw 376 staring me in the face. When I finally started meeting with a nutritionist, I finally got it through my thick skull I don't have to do everything at once. I can work on getting my water in this week. Once I'm okay with that, I can work on something next: not driving through someplace for breakfast every day...bring yogurt and/or string cheese in for breakfast in the morning. Once that's down, on to the next thing. Slowly progress towards where I want to be.

Nutritionist also told me to focus on lean/healthy proteins and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves. I've found that to be pretty much true.

I also don't deprive myself of stuff. If I tell myself I can't ever have something again, it seems like that's all I want to have. I've also found that the faster I get it out of my system the better - that way I don't eat the house down trying to satisfy that craving with something else before breaking down and having it anyway.

For what it's worth....
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't focus on everything all at once. That's just setting yourself up for failure. Piggybacking others, try to focus on non weight related habits and practices.