swimming

Options
Hi
I really want to start swimming as its ngood exercise and I was always a very good swimmer, perfect stroke in everything except butterfly.
My worry is that I will eat/pig out afterwards, swimming always brings on an insane hunger, the kind where all willpower goes out of the window and cravings for ..erm, dare I say it, 'chocolate' become overwhelming.
Anyone else have this problem?
If so is there anyway you managed not to binge?

Replies

• triguy0824
    Options
    I've been swimming for the past 4 months and it has been unreal.

I can definitely attest to all of the cravings, and I think the best way to curb them is to stay hydrated, during and after a swim.

I started off with 250m and am now up to 1250 a day swimming, and I noticed that if I drank (water) more than I ate the cravings would soon go away. I also liked to have a small snack right after and that helped curb the appetite a little bit.

Lastly I swim in the morning, so I have a breakfast, digest, lift and swim, then a small snack and that can hold me over until i have a big salad or such for lunch. The timing of the swim may also be what keeps the appetite at bay.
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    I think I've got to give it a try, especially after seeing your picture.
    I think its a good thing to do something you are good at, I think for me swimming is a really good way to push myself harder and harder and that's what you need to do when exercising as the body soon gets used to it.
    I'll do as you say, time it well and hopefully the bad urge to pig out won't surface.
    Thanks
  • TracyJaneWineaux
    Options
    I do pretty intensive water aerobics, which I know is not the same as lap swimming. However, I do know the hunger that you speak of. For some reason it really gets to me right after an a.m. class. If I can't wait until lunch, I have a HIGH protein snack (low in fat and carbs, too).
    In the evenings, I'll have a snack beforehand and follow my water workout with dinner, also HIGH in protein. This works for me. Also, plenty of liquid can't hurt. Happy swimming!.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, out of all the exercises I do (I also cycle, run, lift heavy weights and do yoga sometimes), swimming is the least likely to bring on the urge to eat loads of food. I find it extremely relaxing and I feel sleepy after a swim.
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    I gotta say, out of all the exercises I do (I also cycle, run, lift heavy weights and do yoga sometimes), swimming is the least likely to bring on the urge to eat loads of food. I find it extremely relaxing and I feel sleepy after a swim.

WOW, you are the lucky one it seems, yes it can make me sleepy too.
    I've swum since I was four yrs old and can remember as a skinny kid it made me well hungry, off to the little tuck shop at the pool with our pennies we would go, we'd be queueing up for it to open, those were the days when you could spend the whole day at the out door baths, which is how we spent our summers, it was great!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm the same way after I swim for a little bit. Feel like I want to take a nap after I'm done, LOL. Don't know why since I rarely take naps.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for the past 4 months and it has been unreal.

I can definitely attest to all of the cravings, and I think the best way to curb them is to stay hydrated, during and after a swim.

I started off with 250m and am now up to 1250 a day swimming, and I noticed that if I drank (water) more than I ate the cravings would soon go away. I also liked to have a small snack right after and that helped curb the appetite a little bit.

Lastly I swim in the morning, so I have a breakfast, digest, lift and swim, then a small snack and that can hold me over until i have a big salad or such for lunch. The timing of the swim may also be what keeps the appetite at bay.

Did you use a program to work up to that amount? I'm interested in adding swimming to my workout schedule and I like to have structured plans when adding something new.