Help! What should I eat?

Options
I am 5'4" about 180lbs. I have lost 25lbs already, but I think most of that was from working out and eating decent, not necessarily "healthy."

For breakfast, I usually want something quick and easy, so I'll have a breakfast lean pocket. Lunch is fairly simple, usually a lean cuisine lunch or a salad +chicken breast, strawberries, boiled egg, serving of vegetables. Dinner- varies, usually where I fall off track and end up eating unhealthy. Snacking is my biggest weakness (I'm working on it!)

A lot of times when I just have the salad for lunch, I am practically starving by the time 5:30 rolls around.

Long story short, I need ideas! I can read and read read about what's healthy but I'm terrible at putting at all together. I am in the weight loss phase so I definitely want ideas that will fuel that. Just tell me what to eat :happy:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much you eat. Stay in your budget, weigh and measure all your food and eat what you like. I often have fast food, ice cream, etc but I stay in budget.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is look at the food diaries to get ideas. You are welcomed to go back on mine for ideas. All of us eat something once in a while that isn't good for us, but as long as you don't do it daily and stay focused you will be fine. You can add me as a friend.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I eat salad for lunch all the time, the key is to add good protein and fat to keep you going. I add tuna, cottage cheese, or turkey for protein, and avocado for fat. I also add crunchy vegetables, like cucumber, carrot, and celery. My big salad usually is just under 300 calories, then maybe I add a piece of fruit on the side or a little hummus in the salad, if I need extra calories. It keeps me full until my snack around 3 hours later. My snack is usually almonds or a south beach diet bar (100 calories, 6 grams protein.)

Instead of a breakfast pocket, try some liquid egg whites mixed with one egg on a piece of whole grain toast or bagel thin. Plan your dinners ahead, keep it simple with a protein (chicken breast, lean steak or pork chop) and lots of veggies (fresh or frozen) and a little carb (whole grain pasta, rice). Beans and lentils are also good for protein and fiber.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    :huh:

Food?

That's normally what people eat.

You don't need to be told what to eat, if it fits... eat it. If it doesn't fit... make it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to demonize food into groups of so called good food versus Bad food....Ahhhh!!! lol... Seriously it is as easy as eating in a caloric deficit and hitting your macros (Carbs, Proteins, and Fats). The bulk of my calories are made up of lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains but I will not pass up the opportunity to have a couple pop tarts or whatever else I want.... If it fits it will be fair game...... Best of Luck....
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're within your goals (calories, fat, carbs, etc.) for the day! I always look at Pinterest's health and fitness section for ideas. When you're talking about salads, do you ever put protein into your salads? Such as lean chicken breast or boiled eggs? That may help you with the hunger you're feeling. Or having yogurt or fruit for an afternoon snack :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to demonize food into groups of so called good food versus Bad food....Ahhhh!!! lol... Seriously it is as easy as eating in a caloric deficit and hitting your macros (Carbs, Proteins, and Fats). The bulk of my calories are made up of lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains but I will not pass up the opportunity to have a couple pop tarts or whatever else I want.... If it fits it will be fair game...... Best of Luck....

Pretty much this.
  • tannas25
    tannas25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to have snacks. Something that's around 200 cals in the afternoon won't derail your efforts as long as you're keeping within your calorie range for the day. I eat every three hours or so. I just started on mfp. My snacks usually consist of a fruit, maybe some string cheese or yogurt, or almonds and LOTS of water. I've discovered how effective a small snack and a ton of water are for me to not feel hungry, ever. Oh, I like the Zone Perfect bars too. It's like having a candy bar. (they are less sweet than candy tho, SO yummy!)
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You have to find something that works for you.... and only take what other people do as suggestions. I talked to a dietitian and my doctor before starting my weight loss journey to get an idea on where to start.

This is what I do.... 2 fruit servings (1/2 cup serving)
    7 veggie servings (1/2 cup serving of all veggies except leafy veggies-1 cup serving)
    2 dairy servings (1 cup serving)
    3 meats and alternative servings (1/2 cup of meat, 2tbsp peanut butter or nuts, 2 eggs)

I also eat something green and orange everyday as well as include a fat at each meal (butter-I record 1tbsp but I eat less than that or salad dressing or ketchup-no more than 2tbsp)

I also have a cheat meal every so often but when I do have a cheat meal I do my best to stay within my calorie goal and I kind of try to plan them so that I can do my best to stay under. That being said, I try not to stress over the unplanned ones because you can't plan everything... Hope this helps... if you have any other questions feel free to add me.
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    Real food is best for you and your body.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much you eat. Stay in your budget, weigh and measure all your food and eat what you like. I often have fast food, ice cream, etc but I stay in budget.
    Sure it does. You can eat 1200 calories worth of twinkies or you can eat 1200 worth of healthy thing things like salad with chicken breast. Guess which one will make you healthy?

That said. You've received lots of great tips. While I wouldn't eat processed foods like lean cuisines and such, that plus a salad or a piece of fruit seems to work for you. I would plan the rest of the things.
    1.) Plan an afternoon snack. Keep it simple, even if it means having a protein bar which you toss in purse that morning.
    2) Plan dinner. I like using Sundays to food prep. Frozen veg like broccoli, or peas & carrots are inexpensive and can be used in a variety of ways..Things like baking a chicken and making a pot of brown rice or pasta(whole wheat or brown rice versions). Then make sure you have enough for sides on hand. Examples:
    Monday: (Perhapstry a meatless Monday?) http://pinterest.com/slcolman/meatless-monday-ideas/
    Tuesday: Chicken stir fry with brown rice, chopped chicken, peas and carrots
    Wednesday: Chicken & pasta
    Thursday: Chicken salad
    Friday: Chicken breast, veg of choice, brown rice

Again this is just an example.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sure it does. You can eat 1200 calories worth of twinkies or you can eat 1200 worth of healthy thing things like salad with chicken breast. Guess which one will make you healthy?

...Neither one?