• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Cut down to 1 beer. Drink more water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,091 Member
    Options
    hezaa777 wrote: »
    Alcohol always hinders success, IMO. You asked for "Sobering Advice." According to the CDC:

"Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.1,2 Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2010 were estimated at $249 billion, or $2.05 a drink."

Giving it up isn't that difficult. You never have a hangover again - or guilt from overdrinking, wasting money, making impaired decisions, etc. You think clearer. Life is better.

You will have to change that from always to always minus one. (although i highly doubt i am the only one)

Alcohol hasnt hindered my success at weight loss - or indeed at anything else.
    I drink in moderation, I do not get hangovers I do not feel guilt (why would I??) I do not drink enough to impair any decisions or spend (i dont see it as wasted) enough money to worry about that.
    I think quite clearly now and life is fine as it is.

OP drinks 1-2 glasses 3-4 times a week - that is well within moderation and within guidelines for healthy alcohol consumption

Excessive drinking may be an issue for some people, nobody is disputing that - but it isnt the topic here.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Alcohol always hinders success, IMO. You asked for "Sobering Advice." According to the CDC:

"Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.1,2 Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2010 were estimated at $249 billion, or $2.05 a drink."

Giving it up isn't that difficult. You never have a hangover again - or guilt from overdrinking, wasting money, making impaired decisions, etc. You think clearer. Life is better.

"Always"? There are some people in this thread who had success meeting their weight and fitness goals while still consuming alcohol.

People who are using alcohol excessively *should* address that (even if it doesn't impact their weight, there are compelling physical and mental health issues involved). For those who have problems drinking, life is likely better once that is under control. But let's not assume that everyone who drinks is a problem drinker.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I'm 23. I went to a party school. I like my beer. In fact I like my shot + beer. I've lost some weight in 2018 but its so slooooow. My gut tells me its because I haven't completely cut out alcohol. I went from 3-4 drinks a night to 1-2 drinks 3-4 nights a week. I want the blunt truth, is it probably hindering my success? I count calories in the app up until night time when i have a drink, however there's always room left in my caloric intake for the alcohol. My frustration could just be psychological. 2.5 months eating clean and I swear its not sugar that beckons me, its not salt, its not that juicy cheeseburger. It's alcohol.
    Anyone go through this? Happy Friday!!

The issue with alcohol and weightloss is two-fold.

First, alcohol is a lot of calories (7 cal per gram) and it tends to go along with carb rich broths. Zero nutrition, good amount of calories and doesn't make you particularly satisfied or full feeling. It is about the highest calorie to satiation you can find. So yeah, its bad for trying to lose weight.

Second, if you drink a lot, you lose inhibitions and tend to eat mindlessly which also can shoot you in the foot.

I mean if you had high activity levels (lots of exercise) and you actually continued to log everything you ate and drank then you could include alcohol safely in your diet...but it doesn't sound like that is what you are doing. So yeah, I think it would benefit you to cut back on the drinking.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

"Always"? There are some people in this thread who had success meeting their weight and fitness goals while still consuming alcohol.

People who are using alcohol excessively *should* address that (even if it doesn't impact their weight, there are compelling physical and mental health issues involved). For those who have problems drinking, life is likely better once that is under control. But let's not assume that everyone who drinks is a problem drinker.

I dunno that I agree with "Always". I lost 120+ lbs my first 14 months on MFP drinking beer the whole time. Granted, it was light/ultralight beer, in moderation while grilling lean meats/seafood, but it was alcohol. I made room for it in my diary and stuck to my calorie goals. I tend to drink beer in the warmer weather and generally don't drink alcohol at all in the winter. Something about BBQ just tastes better with a cold beer. So it did not, in any way, hinder my success, but I don't have a problem with alcohol. If drinking in moderation is a problem for someone, then I would say it can and likely will hinder success because it's pretty much empty calories as @Aaron_K123 states.