Diet Soda!!

Options
Has anybody had any weight loss success which they can attribute to stopping drinking this?
I am fully aware of how bad it is for me and how terrible the chemicals must be for my body but I am finding it very hard to stop my habit.
I Would love to hear stories from others who feel better, cleaner and leaner after stopping drinking diet drinks.

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Not really since it doesn't directly affect your weight loss. However personally I find it makes me make other bad choices that does affect my weight loss. Cutting it out can only be a good thing. Unless its something you 'need' to help keep the other things in check.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is bad for me but I still drink about one 12 oz glass a day. I don't believe it has made any difference with my weight loss one way or the other.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's an individual thing. It could help or hinder based on individual history or temperament. The broscience about tricking your body into an insulin response is bunk, though, and studies showing the so called correlation with weight gain are weak at best. (Spoiler alert: overweight people drink diet soda). I'd say, if it doesn't cause a phsychological trigger for over eating, don't worry about it.
  • misterwah
    misterwah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Actually pyrowill, it does affect your weight loss! Basically, substitute sweeteners (such as aspartame, splenda, etc.), slow down your metabolism AND cause you to eat more by tricking your body into thinking you're not as full as you really are. I don't have any links to prove that off the top of my head but if you joogle it ;-) then you'll be sure to find many, many, studies that conclude the same. Check the News search too.

Cheers, and good luck!!!
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda about 10 years ago, and noticed a 10 pound weight loss then. I drink a lot more tea and water, I also don't crave salty snacks like potato chips. I'll have one now and again, but anymore it is too sweet. I feel like artificially flavored food and drinks dull your taste so you find naturally flavorful food bland.
  • aggiekaren01
    aggiekaren01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had SERIOUS diet coke habit. When I decided it was time to start taking better care of myself (including losing weight), I knew I had to cut out the diet coke. I should mention that my office keeps a fridge full of soda that we can drink for free so it was easy to drink 2-3 a day.

Anyway, I started limiting myself to one a day for a few weeks. I started drinking a lot of Topo Chico mineral water because I loved the fizzy. After about a week I started noticing that I wasn't even finishing the one can a day so I stopped. As of today it's been two weeks since I've drank any diet coke.

I have made a lot of changes to my diet in the last month but that was one of the hardest ones for me. I buy mineral water and lemon la croix and keep it at home and at work so when I feel the need for something fizzy. It was a hard habit to break but I'm so glad I did it!
  • krystalraven
    Options
    I drink way too much diet soda! Sometimes three litres a day. I know that you think it's good because it's 'diet' but there are so many chemicals in it. One of them being aspartame. (Have look online for aspartame poisoning). Also, the amount of caffene in these drinks is sky high! It's a hard habit to kick!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh my, diet soda is absolutely TERRIBLE for everybody! I've never really drank the stuff, and rarely ever drink any pop (unless I am mixing it with some rum ;) ) so I can't say I have any experience with stopping drinking it helping my weight loss.

Artificial sweeteners are just as bad for you as regular sweeteners (you say you are aware of this, but I do advise you to look up more information on the effects of aspartame - it might help you get off the stuff). From anything I've read, it seems like you might as well just drink the regular non-diet stuff, because it at least has less artificially made chemical crap in it.

I like to think of this way: if a chemical an artifical sweetener is in something, it's just as bad if not WORSE than a natural sugar. I'd rather drink a smoothie made entirely of fresh fruits that is high in a natural sugar content (and gives you more energy and other benefits for your health) rather than drink something purely chemical that has no calories. Or just drink water instead!
  • JustDrea113
    JustDrea113 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of diet soda and have lost 57ish pounds! And I drink more than 12oz a day i will tell you that much!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You could be like me and not by into the fear mongering and enjoy 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi' a day and lose a few pounds.... But to each there own.... Best of Luck....
  • BikiniFitnessCrush
    Options
    It contains a toxic chemical (aspartame) that has been known to cause depression, bloating and weight gain when I cut it out my abs revealed a lot more and I lost around 6 pounds :)
  • KatarinaD92
    Options
    I'm having a hard time kicking this habit too... in fact I'm drinking a diet pepsi right now :c

I've been able to cut down on my intake though -- instead I drink a lot of ice cold water or juice if I need something sweet.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I have not had any issues with drinking diet soda.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Actually pyrowill, it does affect your weight loss! Basically, substitute sweeteners (such as aspartame, splenda, etc.), slow down your metabolism AND cause you to eat more by tricking your body into thinking you're not as full as you really are. I don't have any links to prove that off the top of my head but if you joogle it ;-) then you'll be sure to find many, many, studies that conclude the same. Check the News search too.

Cheers, and good luck!!!

So you're saying that if people here, on a site that allows you to accurately count your calories and see your goal for the day, drink diet soda they will be tricked into thinking they aren't full and eat more to such a degree that they will go over their goal? They won't just stop, look at their number, and go "Hmm, I'm actually at my calorie allotment for loss, better stop?"

OP, I am hardpressed to believe that not drinking a 0 calorie drink will help you lose weight. I suppose you may be driven to eat more but assuming you're counting your calories I'll assume you'll have the sense to go 'Hey, I ate my 1600, that's all I usually need, my body much be acting funky" and refrain from eating all the cookies.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It contains a toxic chemical (aspartame) that has been known to cause depression, bloating and weight gain when I cut it out my abs revealed a lot more and I lost around 6 pounds :)

That doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying that aspartame is good or bad for you, but I would think that your continued healthy diet and exercise made your "abs revealed" as well as losing 6 lbs. Unless of course you were drinking a few liters a day, then I could see the bloating issue...
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I havent cut it out completely but I have cut back on it a lot. The reason I cut back was two-fold. I was drinking about 40 oz a night because I was working 3rd shift and I needed it to stay awake and I developed an addiction to the aspertame. I stopped drinking it when I switched to day shift so I could sleep and because I needed to drink more water. When I drank too much soda, I wouldnt drink ANY water and that was hindering my weight loss. As soon as I increased my water intake, I noticed a difference in my weight loss.

Now I only drink diet soda a few times a week, like on my days off or when I know I dont need to go to bed for several hours and I try not to have more than one. I definately dont crave it like I used to anymore.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When I quit drinking diet soda a couple or 6 years ago it didn't help me lose a single pound. Cutting calories did for a while unfortunately I did what a lot of people do and cut too many and then gave up on counting calories and trying to lose weight. But, cutting the diet soda almost killed me so I won't be doing that again.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't drink ANY sodas. I do have an addiction for sugar-free tea though. Not sure if that's any better..lol
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I didn't find it that hard..really just don't buy it and keep diet juice on hand to get you thru that and then transfer to water or green tea
    wasn't really an issue for me BUT if it is a caffeine thing then buy the de-caf and work it out that way to juise then water
    ...You will see--won't be long
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    I have cut out a lot of things such as chocolate and crisps, but Diet Coke is the one thing I can't cut. It makes me happy, such as a coffee would make someone relax (and I don't drink coffee at all!).

I have one can a day, at lunch time, alongside whatever I am eating for lunch (so I guess that masks the sugar cravings). And I am still losing weight.

Everything in moderation!