Keto for pets? Keto strips for cats?

Options

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Aren't predators, even domesticated predatotor like dogs and cats, but especially cats, natural carnivores?

Cats are (they need taurine and vitamin a -- they can't synthesize vitamin a from carotene). However, dogs are omnivores, and not carnivores.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    She told me that she waits at the litter box with the strips and sneaks it under the cat when he goes to make pee pee.

I'm not a cat owner though so don't have a litter box and don't have keto strips. Lol!

My dogs like potatoes too much for a keto diet but it did peek a curiosity when I heard about people doing this. I was wondering just how popular it was amongst pet owners. Apparently there's many people who think the keto diet is the saving Grace for humanity so I guess it trickled down to their pets diets as well.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I think if you release your pets into the wilderness, the menu in the natural habitat will not include ice cream, hydrolized vegetable protein or modified corn starch. They might swing by once a month or so if they're within walking distance to say hello. But the rest of the time they'll be paleo and feeling great.

Now this is an idea too ! They'd miss getting ice cream from the ice cream truck though and probably would miss the lovely D&G perfumes that they like to wear so often. @newmeadow
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    She told me that she waits at the litter box with the strips and sneaks it under the cat when he goes to make pee pee.

Yep, that's how you do it! You have to wait for kitty to start peeing though, once they start they won't stop, but they will look at you with horror and indignation. I've also heard of people sticking a ladle under kitty's butt mid-stream (my Goo would never have allowed that!). The easier way is to replace the litter with something non-absorbing, such as aquarium gravel (unpopped pop corn kernels work well too), then just test once kitty has done their business (my cats are indoor/outdoor, so stalking Goo in the garden was my only option). Also useful if you need to collect a specimen for the vet if you suspect your cat has a UTI, though of course not as good as a sterile sample collected via cystocentesis at the clinic.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    OMG some woman who runs a blog on facebook was saying how she is putting her dogs on the keto diet because they are both overweight and one or both have seizures and it will prevent them from getting cancer. she said she put them on a diet to lose weight and neither one lost weight.so she was trying keto for them. I told her its not a special diet and so on and blah blah blah.

she argued with me saying her vets and her holistic pet provider recommended it to her and she thinks the same keto woo a lot of human ketoers believe. she was buying canned sardines and oysters, coconut oil and other things for her pets(she took pics and posted them),not to mention these things will also be raw (aside from the canned fish and seafood).

she said that the seizure meds werent working as well so she was trying the diet.she thinks it will help them magically lose weight. I just shook my head. I unliked her page because now she is touting more nonsense about other things that could be dangerous to a pet.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Is this real?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    or just fantasy?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Aren't predators, even domesticated predatotor like dogs and cats, but especially cats, natural carnivores?

Dogs are considered omnivores with noticeable carnivore traits; cats are obligate carnivores.

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It's one thing to stop feeding your pets kibble and cheap food full of fillers. It's another thing to test their urine to be sure they are in ketosis. That's just pathetic, I'm sorry.

I have mixed feelings about raw food diets for pets. Yes they would be eating raw meat in the wild, but it would be freshly killed. Not sure I'd trust the raw meat available to me, my ability to handle it safely, and def wouldn't trust commercial raw pet food. If they can manage to get salmonella and euthanasia drugs in dog chow, they'll eventually get it into those cute little frightful expensive packages of raw food.

People always have to take stuff too far smh. If you want to make your pets food yourself, go for it. They should be eating mostly meat anyway, rather than some of the corn kibble that's out there. You can do that with better label reading too. But it doesn't matter if you can confirm they're actually in ketosis or not.

You're right @kimny72. Yes, they would be eating raw meat in the wild but they die in the wild, too, a lot sooner than in captivity. Also, they don't get vaccinations in the wild, would you stop giving them vaccinations too so they can live "as nature intended?"
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have a diabetic cat, and switching from dry food (with carbs) to a wet food meat diet (low carb) has successfully kept him off insulin for years.

I'm not sure about ketosis. I may test his blood glucose because that is medically necessary, but not ketones.