realistic healthy goals?

Options
I am 5 ft 11 inches, and I just recently made it under 200lbs for the first time in several years. my original goal weight was about 175 lbs (which was my wieght 5 years ago when I worked construction) however everyone keeps telling me I shouldn't loose that much ?? I very clearly have alot more fat too loose but is another 20lbs or so realistic and healthy for me?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    175 pounds for someone 5'11 is BMI 24.4 - BMI 25 is classified as overweight. So 175 pounds should be healthy. Realistic is another matter, weight management takes some effort and commitment.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think people get used to seeing you at a certain size/weight so when you lose some they notice the changes and aren't used to seeing you that small
    I got the same from my family when I first dropped to something like 120lbs (I'm 5'2-5'3), about how I looked too thin and my hands looked bony, etc.. but they got used to it eventually - mind you I'm hovering in the 140s atm anyway and now I'm getting "you're chubby" jokes

20lbs could be reasonable, depending on how you feel :) I know BMI isn't necessarily the best tool but I believe it would put you in the middle/lower middle range of normal
    I personally always felt best around BMI 21-22, so that's what I'm aiming for now, too, instead of the low end or the top end of "normal"

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'd say if your comfortable and feel well at that weight go for it. Would recommend checking your true body fat percent and shoot for "normal" range of that 15-20% is far more important than really any number on the scale.