When do I switch to a 1/2 lb per week loss please?

Options
Hi. I am 5'3" and currently 178 lb. I am trying to get to 160. I am set to 1 lb. loss a week which gives me 1490 calories before exercise. I started at 219 and I am not finding sticking to my calories bad at all. I am seeing great results so far.

I have read that you should set it to a 1/2 lb a week closer to your goal. My goal is not 110 lb or anything tiny. 160 is a weight I would be jumping for joy to become. Do you recommend I switch it lower? If so when and why?

Thanks for reading and for your input. May we all reach our fitness and weight goals.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would say probably when you get to 170ish - adjust with 10lbs to go
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Well done on your loss so far. :smile:

Are you eating calorie dense and not as filling foods by any chance? If you get 1490 plus exercise that's not too bad. But maybe a diet break is all that's needed ie you eat at maintenance cals for a week or two and then get back to deficit.

You can also change to 0.5lb any time - loss will be slower but you'll have more calories to work with.

Normally it's the last 15-20lbs when people change to 0.5lb a week.

All the best.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Well done on your loss so far. :smile:

Are you eating calorie dense and not as filling foods by any chance? If you get 1490 plus exercise that's not too bad. But maybe a diet break is all that's needed ie you eat at maintenance cals for a week or two and then get back to deficit.

You can also change to 0.5lb any time - loss will be slower but you'll have more calories to work with.

Normally it's the last 15-20lbs when people change to 0.5lb a week.

All the best.

Thanks. I will switch my diary to public. I think I do just fine with my food choices. I am almost never hungry.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a diet break? because I don't want to go back to my way of l eating that I have been doing and gained weight back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a diet break? because I don't want to go back to my way of l eating that I have been doing and gained weight back.

Read that thread that was linked. Especially the first few pages. Here it is again:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    The advice above is good. Just a question out of curiosity but first, congrats on the great progress you have made so far! Why stop at 160 at 5'3"? That would still not be in the normal BMI range.

Another question is have you take a diet break yet? They can be very beneficial to give your body a "reset" on the hormonal level and help your progress. There is some great info on this here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Probably one of the best threads ever on MFP!

Thanks for this link.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hi, so day 2 diet break/maintenance is in the books. Man this is really tough for me. First of all I really did not have much for high calorie foods in the house. With my long hike on Sun. I had room for 1600 calories at supper time!

I thought getting some greasy assed Wendy's would help get me near my alottment but I didn't even want much of an indulgence. I do know that I have done a great job finding ways to prevent cravings. I can't believe I ever ate that much food in the past.

This diet break has totally reassured me that when I get to where I want to be, I can sustain healthy eating longterm.

Now I am unclear on how to calculate something and am hoping someone is able to help. When I get to 160 is there a way to know what will my maintenance calories will be? I am 5'3", lightly active, and very poor at math. Thanks.

Just play with MFP. Put your weight in as 160, sedentary to maintain weight and it will spit out a decent number.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    Hi, so day 2 diet break/maintenance is in the books. Man this is really tough for me. First of all I really did not have much for high calorie foods in the house. With my long hike on Sun. I had room for 1600 calories at supper time!

I thought getting some greasy assed Wendy's would help get me near my alottment but I didn't even want much of an indulgence. I do know that I have done a great job finding ways to prevent cravings. I can't believe I ever ate that much food in the past.

This diet break has totally reassured me that when I get to where I want to be, I can sustain healthy eating longterm.

Now I am unclear on how to calculate something and am hoping someone is able to help. When I get to 160 is there a way to know what will my maintenance calories will be? I am 5'3", lightly active, and very poor at math. Thanks.

Just play with MFP. Put your weight in as 160, sedentary to maintain weight and it will spit out a decent number.

I did not want to do that because then my report will show that I dropped to 160, achieved goal, etc. won't it?
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Since your goal is still well above the "normal" weight for your height, you will be fine staying at 1lb loss per week until you get to your goal weight. If you were less than 20% BF% and still trying to lose, that is when 0.5lbs/week would be ideal

Thanks Erick. Why does it recommend switching it to .5 for those with a lower body fat percentage? Is it just too few calories?