Gym shy?

Options
sstout02
sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
How’d you guys build your confidence in the gym? Add me :)

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You have to show up
    Arrive with a plan and workout already drawn up.
    Have everything I need. Belt. Chalk. Shoes. Headphones.
    Caffeine in my system.
    A few regulars that you are familiar with also help. Generally there's usually 1 person in the gym that I know. It kind of helps taper off the anxiety.

Just make sure you don't show up unprepared.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It is hard in the beginning, but it's like anything new, the more you do it, the more you will get used to it and it will become comfortable. Stick at it and make it a habit, you'll be so pleased that you do!

• sstout02
    Options
    Thanks Jessef ..great advice
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was usually the only female in the free-weight section of the gym. It was a little intimidating at first, but the guys were really great, supportive and helpful. It's kind of funny because once they saw me lifting some heavy weights (I'm a powerlifter), they started asking me to be a spotter or give them a lift off when benching lol.
  • bonniephobia
    bonniephobia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know it might seem like people care when you are at the gym, because you think they care, but literally no one is paying attention to you. They are paying attention to their own sets and probably their own body given the amount of mirrors. But trust me when I say this: nobody is paying attention to you.

I was never gym shy, so I don't know how to get over it, but I hope this helps you a little bit. It's all in your head.
  • jbhartzell4214
    jbhartzell4214 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees and hips. Is there anything for someone like me in the gym?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    just realize that the gym is narcissistic turf.

nobody will notice you because they are too busy noticing themselves.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You have to show up
    Arrive with a plan and workout already drawn up.
    Have everything I need. Belt. Chalk. Shoes. Headphones.
    Caffeine in my system.
    A few regulars that you are familiar with also help. Generally there's usually 1 person in the gym that I know. It kind of helps taper off the anxiety.

Just make sure you don't show up unprepared.

^^^^this :)
  • sstout02
    Options
    [
    Lol thank you!
    quote="bonniephobia;c-41630443"]I know it might seem like people care when you are at the gym, because you think they care, but literally no one is paying attention to you. They are paying attention to their own sets and probably their own body given the amount of mirrors. But trust me when I say this: nobody is paying attention to you.

I was never gym shy, so I don't know how to get over it, but I hope this helps you a little bit. It's all in your head.[/quote]

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    just realize that the gym is narcissistic turf.

nobody will notice you because they are too busy noticing themselves.

Love it haha
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees and hips. Is there anything for someone like me in the gym?

It will depend on how much the arthritis affects your movements. I have bad knees, arthritis in my lower back and problems with right hip, elbow and hand. At the gym I mostly train with free weights with a focus on powerlifting so squats, deadlifts and benching plus other lifts.