Changing Diet for Weight Loss

Options
mph323
mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences when changing their diet specifically for the purpose of losing weight. I'm talking about people who changed from a conventional diet with no specific food constraints to a more restrictive way of eating - keto, plant-based, paleo, whole foods or some other specific diet.

What I'm curious about is
1) Did restricting your food choices make it easier for you to stick to a calorie goal well enough to lose a substantial amount of weight?
2) Did you plan to continue eating this way for the foreseeable future, or did you plan to use the diet as a temporary measure and return to a less restrictive way of eating after losing the weight?
3) If you lost weight and returned to your previous way of eating, were you able to maintain your weight loss?

I'm exploring the question of whether or not changing your diet while in weight loss mode and then returning to your previous way of eating (meaning type of food, not necessarily amount) can be a viable weight loss strategy compared to losing weight while eating as you plan to continue eating.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry. All I did was reduce.

Now, education from MFP entries meant I watched how much fat I was adding. Those calories add up!

Two or three servings of carb with a meal turned in to one.

I start my day with a full glass of water.

I don’t add much sugar to any of my meals but if my recipe calls for a teaspoon of sugar, I don’t worry about it.

I eat more vegetables.

All of these are permanent changes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I only changed my diet once to lose weight. I had read the Eat Clean Diet and minimizing processed and refined foods made sense to me. I eliminated most refined grains and added sugars, and tried to make a point of eating foods that were recognizably whole foods. I followed it for about 4 months and lost the 30 lbs I needed to lose. Once I hit maintenance I reintroduced some refined carbs and started regaining within months.

1) Did restricting your food choices make it easier for you to stick to a calorie goal well enough to lose a substantial amount of weight?

Yes. I am not good at restricting refined carbs. At all.

2) Did you plan to continue eating this way for the foreseeable future, or did you plan to use the diet as a temporary measure and return to a less restrictive way of eating after losing the weight?

I used it as a mostly temporary measure. I planned to reintroduce some refined carbs, but not as much as before. That didn't last.

A few years ago I lost weight when I switched to keto - I used keto to treat IR and weight loss was a happy side effect. I tried to increase carbs once my BG stayed low and I lost weight but my BG went up and so did my hunger. I'm not planning to leave low carb.

3) If you lost weight and returned to your previous way of eating, were you able to maintain your weight loss?

Nope. I regained over a few years. And I find that I can only lose a few pounds using moderation before I fall off the wagon.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    All I did was count my intake of calories. did not find the need to change anything. Take that back, I did try low carb but I was miserable, I taught fitness classes and found it very hard to lead a class when you have zero energy. Not fun.
  • mph323
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sorry. All I did was reduce.

Now, education from MFP entries meant I watched how much fat I was adding. Those calories add up!

Two or three servings of carb with a meal turned in to one.

I start my day with a full glass of water.

I don’t add much sugar to any of my meals but if my recipe calls for a teaspoon of sugar, I don’t worry about it.

I eat more vegetables.

All of these are permanent changes.

I also lost my weight by eating less of the foods I normally eat. :) I know there are some MFP posters who changed their diet while losing and continued to eat that way afterwards, and of course so many that post that they're starting a new way of eating to lose weight, and we never hear from them again.

I know the general advice given is to eat the way you plan to continue, and that's what worked for me, but I wonder if people who switch to a different way of eating with the idea that they will do better completely abstaining from foods they feel are hard to moderate and successfully lose weight are able to transition back to eating their previous diet if done in a planned, controlled way. And how many find the diet they're using to lose weight is sustainable, and continue eating that way in maintenance? Just curiosity on my part, and thought it would be an interesting discussion.
  • mph323
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I only changed my diet once to lose weight. I had read the Eat Clean Diet and minimizing processed and refined foods made sense to me. I eliminated most refined grains and added sugars, and tried to make a point of eating foods that were recognizably whole foods. I followed it for about 4 months and lost the 30 lbs I needed to lose. Once I hit maintenance I reintroduced some refined carbs and started regaining within months.

I used it as a mostly temporary measure. I planned to reintroduce some refined carbs, but not as much as before. That didn't last.

A few years ago I lost weight when I switched to keto - I used keto to treat IR and weight loss was a happy side effect. I tried to increase carbs once my BG stayed low and I lost weight but my BG went up and so did my hunger. I'm not planning to leave low carb.

Nope. I regained over a few years. And I find that I can only lose a few pounds using moderation before I fall off the wagon.

You're in maintenance right now, I think? I was thinking of you for one when I was trying to formulate my questions, since you've posted before about going low carb and maintaining that way of eating.
  • mph323
    Options
    All I did was count my intake of calories. did not find the need to change anything. Take that back, I did try low carb but I was miserable, I taught fitness classes and found it very hard to lead a class when you have zero energy. Not fun.

Yeah, I've tried a couple of restrictive diets in the past that worked until they didn't, and I'd go right back to eating (too much of) the foods that made me feel better. I'm not sure if I might have had success maintaining the weight loss if I'd had made a plan to stick to the diets for x number of weeks, then had a plan for transitioning back to my normal way of eating. I'm not even sure if anyone actually does that!
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on the paleo diet and told me to get the MFP app.

Yes. I've lost almost 80 pounds. I couldn't believe how easy it was for me on the paleo diet.

It was my intention to continue eating paleo for the foreseeable future, but then I started reading the posts on MFP and learned the right way to think about the way I eat (and I just can't live without pizza with a REAL crust).

I'm still working on losing the weight (another 46+ pounds to go), but I don't plan to return to my previous way of eating. Once I reach goal weight, I want to be able to maintain it and there is no way I could do that in my previous way of eating. The paleo diet taught me the following:
    • Protein and fat were more satiating to me than carbs so I could actually eat fewer calories, but not feel hungry.
    • Cooking. Before I mostly ate frozen dinners. Cooking tastes better and gives me greater control over my calories and nutrients.
    • Vegetables could be yummy. I've learned to eat a lot more vegetables.
    However, I'm no longer strictly paleo nor do I recommend paleo when asked about my diet. I now eat oatmeal and dairy. When I take a diet break, I add more carbs with bread and starchy vegetables. I'm always experimenting to see which foods fill me up, are worth the calories, and fit my nutrient goals (especially protein). I guess you could say that I've moved from the paleo diet to the "MFP" diet and the MFP diet I plan to follow for the rest of my life.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    There are so many ways that this can work for a person and just taking it slow and let your Way Of Eating evolve can work well.

After 40 years of nothing but failure was the reason I decided to never to try to lose weight again. When I started eating all I wanted on LCHF I lost 50 pounds staying stuffed and and I have maintained going on three years doing more of the same. Other than two hellish weeks when I quit added sugar and all gains and keeping my total carbs just under 50 grams daily it has been a breeze.

I have another 20-30 pounds that would be nice to lose but until it hampers the recover of my health it is not job one and I am kind of waiting to see if it will happen automatically without effort like the first 50 pounds.

Right now I am just enjoying my improving health and the things I can do once again like walk any distance I wish.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

You're in maintenance right now, I think? I was thinking of you for one when I was trying to formulate my questions, since you've posted before about going low carb and maintaining that way of eating.

Mostly maintenance, yes. I regained a few pounds when my carbs went up but I only regained a few. Enough to make my pants snug. Lol.

I did not go low carb to lose. I was hoping to lose, sure, but getting my health in check was my focus.

I am not a fan of dietary changes just to lose weight. If you go back to what you did before, most will regain the weight. I did. Moderation is nice for that because you don't need to adjust anything but calories. My problem was an inability to moderate foods with my past diet. I know that now. If I go back to how I ate before, I will be as unhealthy and overweight as I was before. KWIM?

For me, moderation does not work for weight loss or maintenance. It was great for weight gain though. ;)
  • mph323
    Options
    r3488 wrote: »
    My doctor put me on the paleo diet and told me to get the MFP app.

Yes. I've lost almost 80 pounds. I couldn't believe how easy it was for me on the paleo diet.

It was my intention to continue eating paleo for the foreseeable future, but then I started reading the posts on MFP and learned the right way to think about the way I eat (and I just can't live without pizza with a REAL crust).

I'm still working on losing the weight (another 46+ pounds to go), but I don't plan to return to my previous way of eating. Once I reach goal weight, I want to be able to maintain it and there is no way I could do that in my previous way of eating. The paleo diet taught me the following:
    • Protein and fat were more satiating to me than carbs so I could actually eat fewer calories, but not feel hungry.
    • Cooking. Before I mostly ate frozen dinners. Cooking tastes better and gives me greater control over my calories and nutrients.
    • Vegetables could be yummy. I've learned to eat a lot more vegetables.
    However, I'm no longer strictly paleo nor do I recommend paleo when asked about my diet. I now eat oatmeal and dairy. When I take a diet break, I add more carbs with bread and starchy vegetables. I'm always experimenting to see which foods fill me up, are worth the calories, and fit my nutrient goals (especially protein). I guess you could say that I've moved from the paleo diet to the "MFP" diet and the MFP diet I plan to follow for the rest of my life.

80 lbs - congratulations! So you were able to transition from successfully losing weight on a paleo diet to continuing to lose weight with a less restrictive way of eating. I would say that you used your time doing paleo as an opportunity to examine what a sustainable diet would look like to you, and followed through by making those changes in a controlled way.

"MFP Diet" :)
  • mph323
    Options
    No it did not. I'm on a keto diet for epilepsy (I have to) which I've been on for around a year and gained about 40 pounds since I started (am 153). I very recently lost some weight but most likely from bowel issues that I've been having. During my lowest weight (was 115) most of my diet was processed food (along with some high volume vegan foods), however, I was having more seizures. Honestly, if it weren't for my medical condition I would go back to my "junk food diet" lol. It kept me sane.

Hugs! Weight loss is definitely more challenging when you have to stick to a diet that isn't really compatible with the kinds of foods you find satisfying.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight for many years, for the most part imagined excess weight, but also real overweight (hit obesity). To lose, or not gain weight, I would eat a restrictive diet, or focus on recommended diet foods - low fat, whole grains and vegetables. Then I would succumb to the lack of taste and freedom, and overeat everything. I believe this is the most common pattern.

This time (2013 and onwards) it finally clicked - I have to eat food I like in order to be able to not overeat. I have been experimenting with food combinations and preparations and feel satisfied with my current diet, I feel I can and will stick to it, more or less like this, for the rest of my life.

I eat the same foods as I always have, but in different amounts, proportions and frequency. I believe I eat healthily, and I'm not concerned, stressed or worried. I enjoy treats, but I don't overconsume anything anymore. As an example - the last marzipan from Christmas is on my meal plan for Easter; I still have several servings of ginger nuts. (That would have been unthinkable in the past.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight (maintained for 5+ years, until I had some issues with depression and became sedentary), I changed my diet from an "eat whatever, don't cook that much since I'm never home" kind of diet to one based around home cooking and mostly healthful eating and lots of vegetables. I didn't count calories although I wanted portions and increased activity.

When I lost this time, I started trying out paleo out of curiousity and cutting out sugar, mostly because I was pretty conscious of my diet habits and knew that I continued to eat quite well at meals (except some restaurant meals which had vegetables and all but were high cal), except that I was using too much oil/butter and eating large portions, but that my main issue tended to be stress or emotional eating between meals. I used to not be attracted to that since I used to not like to eat the kinds of things usually available at my workplace (where it was an issue). So I decided to reclaim my preference for homecooked as well as my understanding that I did not need to eat between meals. The sugar thing was because sugar stuff was the most available at work (we have other things too, but I'm really picky about packaged chips so didn't eat them) and because I wanted to show myself I didn't need to eat sweets to feel better -- that was not intended to be long term. The paleo thing was because it was a challenge and I like challenges and figured it would be added incentive to get back to the way I used to cook. I didn't think it was long term, but had an open mind to the idea that grains might be an issue in some way (I concluded that grains, dairy, and legumes had no negative effects on me).

The result of this brief period, though, was that I got back in the same habits I'd had for years and started eating just 3 meals a day, mostly homecooked, plus maybe a little dessert after dinner and, most important, it was a fun way to get back to paying close attention to what I ate, whether homecooked or not.

I think dietary changes can be helpful, but I think it's best to understand WHY they are helpful (calories) and the benefits of them (eating vegetables is healthy, eating too many cookies might take calories you could be using for more micronutrient dense foods, protein and fiber can be sating, so on) and not think "cookies made me FAT." I also find, for me, that having a planned, scheduled way of eating where I have to pay attention to what and how much I eat is FAR more important than not eating specific things but continuing to otherwise eat in a non planned way (planned does not mean counting calories, although that could be part of it).

I don't eliminate anything now, but there are some things I eat rarely. I don't think of them as things that are being eliminated (since they are not) but just things that don't fit in my usual day.

Hmm, also I tend to think people NATURALLY will shift their diet some when counting calories, as some things are necessary for nutrition or normal to a meal (veg and protein) and some are not (sweets between meals, added oil, larger amounts of refined starches). So even if you don't eliminate foods the proportions will change. I wouldn't think it's as easy to just reduce portions of every single thing and not change eating style or choices at all, but I never think that's really recommended -- if I had kept my pattern of snacking throughout the day (when stressed) and just tried to eat less, it would have been a big fail and felt harder and miserable, for me.

I also find that focusing on things besides calories (cooking tasty meals, nutrition, whatever) is easier for me than focusing ONLY on weight, but people differ on this.