50 Ans older

Hello everyone,
I’m looking for motivation, tips and ideas from anyone 50 and over. I know I’m never going to look like a did at 25 or 30. I find it really discouraging to do workouts on any fitness site with people 15-20 years younger than me. It’s not that I can’t always keep up, it’s just that I know I’ll never look like that again so I give up easily because I’m discouraged. Are there any online fitness sites routines that I can participate in that are featuring those 50 and over?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• tensquaredlives
    tensquaredlives Posts: 47 Member
    We have a fitness center in our town that is specifically for over 50 people. Maybe there is something like that in your town as well? I don't go there because I prefer working out at home because it's more convenient. I use Daily Burn and Beach Body on Demand. I like them both. There is a variety of workouts on both sites including dancing which I like to do. I get bored easily so I like to switch it around all the time. Daily Burn has some specific workouts for older people that are about mobility which I really appreciate. They have a free 30 day trial.

I don't compare myself to the 20 somethings who are doing the workouts. It doesn't bother me that they look great and I look....worn. I just give myself credit that I am trying and that I can even keep up with kids who are half my age. I think it is more useful to look ahead at people who are older than me. I see some that are just slightly older than me and can barely walk or already have major health issues. Then there are those in their 70s and 80s who are still going strong. Those are the people that I compare myself to. I aspire to be them. I admire their dedication and wisdom. Also I hope someday some young person will look at me and say "that old lady is amazing"!

I would not let those young folk discourage you from being the best you can be at 50 or beyond.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    You may not be 25 anymore but you are capable and able to be the best 50 or 50 something!
    There is some pretty yucky looking 25 year olds as well as 50 year olds. You don't have to be if you dont want to. It's your choice!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,468 Member
    tmaure wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I’m looking for motivation, tips and ideas from anyone 50 and over. I know I’m never going to look like a did at 25 or 30. I find it really discouraging to do workouts on any fitness site with people 15-20 years younger than me. It’s not that I can’t always keep up, it’s just that I know I’ll never look like that again so I give up easily because I’m discouraged. Are there any online fitness sites routines that I can participate in that are featuring those 50 and over?

Thanks in advance

The average age for the long distance cycling I do is 49 ... or it was several years ago. It might be slightly older than that now.

And when I was 25, I wasn't doing the long distance cycling I am now at 51. I'm in better shape now than I was when I was 25. :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,899 Member
    Reinvent yourself in the now!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Pep talk : Don't compare yourself to others, it robs you of your own joy and accomplishments. I'm more concerned about fitness and functionality than about boobs and booties. Now at 60 I'm in the best shape of my life, 4 years after barely being able to walk 1/4 mile. I have friends in early 60s who have come from behind and surpassed the fitness of many younger people, because they've worked HARD at it. If you give up now, you're guaranteed not to reach your goals.
    Response to question : Find a gym or a Y that offers classes targeted for an older population. You can try those and see which you prefer. The difficulty of these classes is often modified to better suit a population with more limitations. Perhaps if you are one of the "better looking" class members you'll feel better about yourself.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    This is my first day on this site I am 55 years old Monday, would be interested in doing this site for some motivations and tips I've had a lot of health issues and so I have not been active much trying to figure out how to get started I'm doing this by myself and so any advice you can give on how to improve my life as I lose the weight I have 96 pounds to go I started about a week ago trying to lose weight now I've lost 8.6 pounds so far but this is my first day on this site and my health is slowly improving but I really don't know where to start I've been a recluse for several years because I've allowed my weight and health issues over my life I used to be 400 lb and I lost down to 285 and I've been stuck at this weight for many years and now I'm down to 275.6 and any encouragement or advice or motivation I'd appreciate. Hard to start over when you're growing old.