Fitbit, Apple Watch Or...

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    JaiNicole7 wrote: »
    Fitbit and Apple Watch users please chime in. What makes you like it? I had a Fitbit Charge HR last year and it stopped working after a few months. I do not feel like my tracking apps on my phone: iHealth and MapMyWalk are very accurate for cals burned. I will walk 2-3 miles per day @ 3.3 mph and it will say less than 100 cals burned. While I definitely do NOT want to overestimate, I wonder if that is right. I know nothing is over 85% accurate or so (sure do miss the Bodybugg). But for someone who has neither, but is both challenged and motivated by numbers, what would you recommend?

Just an FYI, I had a fitbit that broke and after a year I emailed the company sent a picture and they sent me a new one just like that. They stand behind their product and were very nice to work with.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm a polar girl. I have a Polar A370 with 24/7 HRM among many other features. It's very accurate for me.

I love my polar watch and HR monitor. I recently ordered a pedometer just to calculate my unintentional steps.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch all the way for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    I have the AW and used to have a polar M400, the AW is great for most things, but really sucks for measuring heart rate during weight training/crossfit as it con't pick up my heart rate from the wrist when I bend it a lot. For walking, running, biking and normal day-to-day stuff it is great though :)

Try the third party arm band for HIIT and stuff, or the polar chest strap. I am going to check out the newer sports loop as my wrists are bony and not round and I don't feel like I get great contact with the sport band.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I feel lucky that all of my fitbits work. Seriously, even the Zip still works. I replaced them because I wanted something newer. I upgraded to the One, then to charge HR, then gradually started downgrading by turning off heart rate monitoring (it gives me inflated calories), then I bought the Alta (no HR) because it looked sleeker, then I got rid of the band and bought a clip holder because I wanted to wear a watch and I felt my Alta picked up hand movements. Moral of the story: what do you want out of your tracker? I paid for functionalities I thought sounded cool without considering what I really need, but that's my brain on gadgets so let it be a cautionary tale.

Personally, I wouldn't do Apple watch because it's too bulky and I'm too clumsy (not to mention that I don't own any Apple products or phones to make use of the watch). I also hate charging things. I charge my Alta once a week, going to semi-daily charging would be bothersome.
  • SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    JaiNicole7 wrote: »
    Fitbit and Apple Watch users please chime in. What makes you like it? I had a Fitbit Charge HR last year and it stopped working after a few months. I do not feel like my tracking apps on my phone: iHealth and MapMyWalk are very accurate for cals burned. I will walk 2-3 miles per day @ 3.3 mph and it will say less than 100 cals burned. While I definitely do NOT want to overestimate, I wonder if that is right. I know nothing is over 85% accurate or so (sure do miss the Bodybugg). But for someone who has neither, but is both challenged and motivated by numbers, what would you recommend?

Just an FYI, I had a fitbit that broke and after a year I emailed the company sent a picture and they sent me a new one just like that. They stand behind their product and were very nice to work with.

My Charge HR broke last week and they upgrade me to Charge 2 for free. Really good customer service.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch. The total calorie burn seems correct. It’s also water resistant. I also like it for texting, phone call and meeting notifications. If I put my phone down,the notifications will buzz on my wrist.

The only annoying thing is that it doesn’t sync the calories you can eat with MFP completely. If you set it in exercise mode, it will sync your calorie burn very well. If you sync your steps, it will sync the calorie burn very well. If you take a lot of steps AND log exercise it won’t give you the step calories in MFP. For example, I walked the mall for about 45 min and it gave me 160 step calories in MFP. Later that day I took a 5 mile brisk walk while my AW was in exercise mode. It deleted alll the mall walk calories from MFP and just gave me the brisk walk calories. This happened a lot and I ended up under eating and losing weight faster than I wanted and hungry all the time. So I had to manually add more daily calories to MFP to make up the difference.

I think the total calories I burn is correct on the AW. It just doesn’t sync really well with MFP.