Customer Service , what happened?

Options
2»

Replies

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I make an effort to shop locally where I don't have horrendous lines. If the staff is rude, I don't go back and find another place to shop. However, I really feel for the Target/big box store customer service. Management deliberately understaffs them and there isn't much they can do about super long lines, barcodes that don't scan properly etc etc etc.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    gophermatt wrote: »
    I’m as guilty as anyone, but our words indicate we want good customer service while our dollars have made WalMart the largest retailer in the world.

Nothing against the people who work at WalMart, most I’ve met have been great. The low staff hours / customer help yourself business model is just so much more successful. Regrettably for those looking for good service, we’ve done it to ourselves.

Just because Walmart is a discount retailer does not give the employees license to treat customers rudely or even indifferently. Regardless of wage, hours or any other factors they do have a job in customer service. If they are allowed to treat customers poorly then that is bad management. There are lots of people who want to work and will put a smile on their face to do it. I've met them at these types of stores. :) Now finding someone on the floor to help you find something is often an exercise in futility. To that I do attribute the desire for low prices and store under-staffing.
  • 2Legit2QuitTx
    2Legit2QuitTx Posts: 322 Member
    Options

so someone is scanning yr crap at Kroger and they aren’t smiling or chatting, maybe they are worried about their moms who is sick or maybe they are broken hearted coz their SO left them, or maybe they are tired as *kitten* coz they work two shifts to make ends meet while they go to school full time, so if u think about that then they aren’t someone there to serve u good cheer instead they are part of humanity and just trying to make it by.
    and then maybe they could use lifting up too and u could smile and offer a compliment and just be nicer than u want to be
    i try to do that anyway coz my kids are watching me all the time and i dont want to raise the kind of little $hits that are rude to waitresses kwim?

Despite my complaining, I’m actually super polite to anyone that serves me from a customer service stand point.
    Just because I don’t snap on them for being rude doesn’t mean I don’t notice it.
    But, I will say this.. yes, being human and having personal issues is normal and it happens.. we have all been there.
    However, if you allow that to effect how you’re treating customers, you need to go home. You’re not only not performing adequately, you’re putting your job at risk. Better to take the day than risk saying or doing something that could take away your income.
    I realize it takes maturity to make that kind of decision, but it seems fairly basic to me.
    And @ilovetrees145 I just stopped asking lol.

This was meant to be a fun, vent about that weird moment where someone got *kitten* with you at a store.. it got too serious.

So maybe we can share those moments? Or funny store experiences?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Customer service is disappearing. When I was young, Gas stations were referred to as Service Stations. As soon as you pulled in, a bell rang, and an attendant rushed out. Began gassing your vehicle, then lifted the hood, checked your radiator, oil and filled them up. Checked your tires and filled them up if necessary. Then, washed all your windows. All this service and gas was only 35 cents a gallon.

Now, they saunter out, fill your tank and that's it. If you are lucky, some will ask if you want your windshield washed. In a tone of voice that let's you know they are too busy. For 3 dollars a gallon.

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

so someone is scanning yr crap at Kroger and they aren’t smiling or chatting, maybe they are worried about their moms who is sick or maybe they are broken hearted coz their SO left them, or maybe they are tired as *kitten* coz they work two shifts to make ends meet while they go to school full time, so if u think about that then they aren’t someone there to serve u good cheer instead they are part of humanity and just trying to make it by.
    and then maybe they could use lifting up too and u could smile and offer a compliment and just be nicer than u want to be
    i try to do that anyway coz my kids are watching me all the time and i dont want to raise the kind of little $hits that are rude to waitresses kwim?

Despite my complaining, I’m actually super polite to anyone that serves me from a customer service stand point.
    Just because I don’t snap on them for being rude doesn’t mean I don’t notice it.
    But, I will say this.. yes, being human and having personal issues is normal and it happens.. we have all been there.
    However, if you allow that to effect how you’re treating customers, you need to go home. You’re not only not performing adequately, you’re putting your job at risk. Better to take the day than risk saying or doing something that could take away your income.
    I realize it takes maturity to make that kind of decision, but it seems fairly basic to me.

This was meant to be a fun, vent about that weird moment where someone got *kitten* with you at a store.. it got too serious.

I wanna know what kind of customer service job lets you "take the day off" because you are feeling pissed that day. You just get fired.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    uxjjnmpauzaz.jpg caller

sq3n2fusdhk9.jpg CSR

two worlds colliding make for a lousy customer service experience.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Customer service is disappearing. When I was young, Gas stations were referred to as Service Stations. As soon as you pulled in, a bell rang, and an attendant rushed out. Began gassing your vehicle, then lifted the hood, checked your radiator, oil and filled them up. Checked your tires and filled them up if necessary. Then, washed all your windows. All this service and gas was only 35 cents a gallon.

Now, they saunter out, fill your tank and that's it. If you are lucky, some will ask if you want your windshield washed. In a tone of voice that let's you know they are too busy. For 3 dollars a gallon.

wow where do you live. 'self service' is all that is in the state im in.

• 2Legit2QuitTx
    Options
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »

I wanna know what kind of customer service job lets you "take the day off" because you are feeling pissed that day. You just get fired.

I don’t think you need to say, “can I have the day off since I’m pissed”
    You could ask for a personal day. Or take a vacation day if you have it.
    There’s ways to discuss it with your boss. Any manager worth their salt would know it’s better to give you the time than to risk an incident.
    Even in an “at will” state like Texas, mental health is still protected.

Now, if you’re just a whiny little complainer at work, that’s a different story. You need a diaper and a bottle, not a customer service job.

That’s why they are titled as CSR and not Collections Agent ;D
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Naw, I don't think you're off base at all. I can tell you, we're not doing well as a society and people are generally not very happy. We've tunneled people into using 5/7th of their week doing things they hate doing for money that not only doesn't get you ahead, but forces struggle and it's wearing on us causing I think a real mental health crisis. Especially with the new millennials coming in. Just to get real for a second.

What's the arguably best time of our lives? I feel like 10-24 is a pretty rad time.

Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth ages 10-24 in the US
    One in 11 high school students made a suicide attempt in the past 12 months
    86% of school psychologists surveyed reported that they had counseled a student who had threatened or attempted suicide

Look at that first statistic because it's very accurate and blows my mind. Out of *everything* in this complicated world of ours that can kill us, the second leading cause of death in our youth in the ages 10-24 range is people looking for an escape from living. That's gross.

So, yes. You're probably right. Customer Service may have easily been a little better back in the day, but I'd argue so was our societal structure and quality of living.

So while customer service is important, I'd say it's a drop in the bucket big picture.

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273148045_Suicide_Trends_Among_Persons_Aged_10-24_Years_-_United_States_1994-2012
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

I'm in Oregon now. Moved from California. Neither state has had that level of service
    in 30 years.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

I'm in Oregon now. Moved from California. Neither state has had that level of service
    in 30 years.

Oregon here, as well. I think the last time someone washed my windshield was over a year ago. I did just buy windshield wipers from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and was surprised when they came out and put them on for me! Bravo!
  • 2Legit2QuitTx
    Options
    I’ve never lived in a full service state lol.

Even in the military, I kept missing it.
    I was in Washington.. pumped my own gas
    Texas... pumped my own gas
    South Carolina ... pumped my own gas
    Germany.. pumped my own gas

Lol so I have no idea what that’s really like.

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

Where I’m from, you don’t even get that. At the basic gas station, YOYO (you’re on your own). They help you at the car wash, but that’s the only customer-driven (no pun intended), teamwork-permitted car service in existence.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I’ve never lived in a full service state lol.

Even in the military, I kept missing it.
    I was in Washington.. pumped my own gas
    Texas... pumped my own gas
    South Carolina ... pumped my own gas
    Germany.. pumped my own gas

Lol so I have no idea what that’s really like.

I’m in Texas, so I get it.