Minimum stretch hold time?

Options
2»

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    As long as it takes for your body to settle fully into the stretch.

AKA

No bouncing.

It might be 15 seconds or 60 until your muscles fully relax and you achieve full extension.. Don't be a clock watcher and don't rush it. but once you've reached full relaxed extension and stretch. One full breath or 2 heartbeats is plenty.

This. If I don't keep my hip flexors flexible, my SI joints act up. After every workout, I do 4-5 dynamic stretches then hold the last one at full stretch.
  • boomerising
    boomerising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Many people gave found foam rolling to be helpful. It's more of a release than a stretch, which can be very useful.
    Another good reminder. I do see these used a great deal at the gym. And I have one here at home. Hiding under my mini-couch :) Needs to come out more.
  • boomerising
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    A lot of the stretches that seem to help me are ones involving holding on to a bar, of which I don’t have the equivalent indoors.
    Using a straight-back kitchen-type chair can work for those :)
    No, not heavy/stable enough for the most important stretches for me. Has to be something that’s nailed to the floor.
  • boomerising
    Options
    puttputt24 wrote: »
    Over 60 = minimum 60 sec

Physical Therapy student
    Oh god just shoot me. LOL… I used to be a fan of physical therapy (j/k)
  • boomerising
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i never hold a stretch static, i'm always moving and stretching the muscles different directions.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. Probably protects against overstretching injury.
  • boomerising
    Options
    jfan175 wrote: »
    This. If I don't keep my hip flexors flexible, my SI joints act up. After every workout, I do 4-5 dynamic stretches then hold the last one at full stretch.
    Same here, hip flexors and glutes. I’ve felt by far the most punishment from skipping those stretches. One time after I skipped the glute stretch (which I believe also stretches the muscles involved with the hip joints) I felt crippled for several days. Painful to walk.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    seriously, why. because i only hold stretch for a few seconds and i feel great. what are the benefits of holding the stretch for 30 seconds or 60 seconds. And i never hold a stretch static, i'm always moving and stretching the muscles different directions.

It appears you don't understand the word static.