Body fat increase

Options
I am starting to up my calories and increase weight I'm lifting - though it's been a small increase there - and I noticed I gained 5 pounds and by body fat went from 10.9 to 12.5.

Is this normal for someone trying to gain more muscle in a 3 month period?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes. If you are gaining weight, you are gaining body fat. It just won't be as fast as it would be if you weren't weight training. Also, depending on you measured your body fat, there could be some error in that number.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Plus check your macros. If you're eating 50 grams of protein, you're going to gain a crap ton more fat than if you're eating an adequate amount.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your BF measurement from? many tools are very inaccurate, so it might not be right
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    HvymetalMG wrote: »
    I am starting to up my calories and increase weight I'm lifting - though it's been a small increase there - and I noticed I gained 5 pounds and by body fat went from 10.9 to 12.5.

Is this normal for someone trying to gain more muscle in a 3 month period?

you might be eating too much. you normally don't need more than 400 or so over maintenance if your goal is just to put muscle on. muscle can grow slowly but as long as you have a little over maintenance you should grow.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There is no gaining weight without gaining fat, even if you're also gaining muscle. This is why bodybuilders go through cycles of bulking and cutting rather than trying to add muscle without fat. It's not really possible under most circumstances. (It's occasionally possible for beginners to weight training, or with Vitamin S.)

But I'd only trust that body fat number if it's from getting dunked or DEXA or something similarly accurate. Calipers and impedance devices can be significantly off.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Is a 5lb gain in weight and nearly 2% BF increase normal? Depends on how much you weigh. I remember you are fairly light but not sure your exact staring weight. But you will gain around 1/2 your gains in fat, however, since you are in a favourable BF% for your p-ratio you should gain slightly more muscle than fat if you are bulking correctly.

What's your starting stats and calories and macros?