Beginner runner - 30 day shred on non running days??

Options
I’ve just started the c25k program and I’m hoping to do my first 5k at the end of April. I always hated the thought of running but was doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and started noticing that my cardio capacity had improved so much that I could jog around my rec room for 20 minutes no problem. Now I’m excited about learning to run, especially since the weather’s improving.

So my question is, can I still do 30 day shred combined with c25k? Obviously not in the same day. I was doing it every day but life interfered about a month ago so I would like to start from the beginning again and do it 3 days a week when I’m not running.

I find that working out at home in the evening before bed really suits me and I don’t want to give it up. Running is outside and would happen earlier in the evening. Of course, I could do yoga or pilates instead of 30ds but I like getting the calorie burn.

On a side note, I don’t live in a flat area so some of my running route has to be on hills. Is that ok or should I modify the programme so I only walk on hills and run in the flat bits?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try it.

Take a rest day, make it 2 if you think you need it.
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't because my legs are sore the day after c25k & Jillian loves jumping jacks, so no.
  • mrswyattonadiet
    mrswyattonadiet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and can run 5km continuously and tried doing the Davina McCall workout DVD's on my 'rest' days but found it too much. Mainly the squats! :)

I really enjoy running which is my cardio activity of choice but would like to tone up so am exploring Pilates at the minute for something with less intensity as I strongly dislike HIIT.

Everyone is different and that just might be your groove. Try it! :)
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I done C25K on a treadmill last year and then done 30DS. I find the first 3 days of each new level I can’t really do much so I don’t run, but by the end of the week I’m completely fine. I literally just started 30DS again today and I’m attempting to start running outside 2/3 times a week too (I do 30DS every weekday morning). I’d say give it a try. If it’s too hard, try having a rest day.