What do you do when the scale reads that you gained weight?

Options
Today was the first day that on my weight loss journey, the scale stated I gained weight... I feel totally discouraged. Granted, I haven’t been making the best of choices this past week... I know this next week I’ll see better results, but as of today, I feel horrible... how do you get back on track from feeling so bad?!? I literally feel disgusted with myself...

Replies

• KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes when I step on the scale and my weight went up. The important thing is remembering that weight fluctuates :) It will go up and down always, but on the track of weight loss it will steadily go down! I only step on the scale once a week to see my current status. Be sure to weight yourself right after you wake up and wear the same type of clothes. When I do feel slightly discouraged, i just keep on logging for the day and know I'm doing everything I can for my journey!!:)
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day that on my weight loss journey, the scale stated I gained weight... I feel totally discouraged. Granted, I haven’t been making the best of choices this past week... I know this next week I’ll see better results, but as of today, I feel horrible... how do you get back on track from feeling so bad?!? I literally feel disgusted with myself...

Accept it, learn from it (figure out what you over ate, need to avoid maybe for boating ect..) and move on. Every day is a new day and new chance to make it right! It's hard not to feel down on yourself but this is a long term journey for most of us, and no one is perfect!
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Put the data in my spreadsheet and move on.

As long as the overall trend is still moving in the right direction it doesn't matter. If I find that trend starting to move in the wrong direction then I'll take a closer look at my logging to see where the extra calories might be creeping in.

^^^This, except I use a weight trending website instead of a spreadsheet.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Keep going, you won't go straight down in weightloss. For example, I gain 5lbs in water weight right before I start my period. I hold onto it until the day before my period ends... Then it disappears overnight again. Sometimes with a extra pound. When I was losing (currently maintaining), it would stay the same for a full month, gain 5lbs overnight before my period, and then drop about 8-10lbs right before my period officially ended.

It seems discouraging at first due to all of it. Bodies are confusing af. Go with the overall trend of weight loss, not the day-to-day number. You can do it! Don't let it get you down!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It's usually a combination of sodium, extra exercise, and/or hormonal fluctuations. I just use it as motivation to do a little better in the next few days, maybe it will cause me to drink more water or turn down the cookie someone offers...nothing major.

Just try to stay on track & don't let it affect the "big picture" and you will be golden!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I cycle calories, meaning I usually have a day or two a week that I eat at maintenance, so my loss is a little less linear than some, but everyone has days they’re up more than expected. I always gain a couple of pounds when I eat pizza, even when my calories are low, for example. I track my trend on a spreadsheet and the up days are (usually) balances out by the down days. You’re in this for the long haul. The only way an up day can ruin your progress is if you let it turn into an excuse to give up.