Cals/Macros for Weight Loss vs Building Muscle for Women

Options
JaiNicole7
JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
I'm a few chapters into a book called Strong Curves-a Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body. Really liking it so far. My goal is to lose excess fat but remain curvy while becoming more fit and increasing lean body mass. Just finished the nutrition portion, & the cals seem like too much (for weight loss). I'm just starting my journey (well restarting after some fails). I'm 5'2, 179 lbs. The book uses RMR with a moderate activity multiplier & put me at 2300 cals per day when training, 1900 if not. Macros are high on protein, moderate on fat, and low/moderate carb with the author advising to adjust to fit individual response. Wondering if I will see fat loss at an intake of 1900/2300. MFP has me at 1200, which I did increase to 1400 due to being really hungry at days end. The author does stress the importance of adequate intake for building muscle. But then of course to lose fat I need a deficit. Should I jump into the program and hopefully building muscle & losing fat will be somewhat of a one stop shop? Or should I focus on dropping some excess fat first?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you check out folks like Eat to Perform (disclosure I use them) - they have folks who are sedentary eating 2000+ cal a day and losing weight...so no I don’t think 2200 is too little

You need to fuel your body to get full benefit of your workours
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    With your stats you want to eat in a deficit to lose, but definitely want to fuel adequately to maintain muscle. I actually find his calorie intake really low for my stats. Keep in mind MFP doesn't include any exercise with that calorie amount. Also if you chose 2lbs loss per week it will give you a much lower intake vs Strong Curves.