Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I used to do nothing but calisthenics for a long time...I was in the Marines and afterwards I continued doing them because I preferred it to the gym. I was lean and fit and well defined with a good physique, but I'd hardly say that I was "ripped" or "jacked"

I think it would be incredibly difficult to put on 25 Lbs of lean mass in a year with body weight training. A newb in the gym with a solid lifting program would be lucky to put on 20 Lbs in a year, so I'm hard pressed to think that will happen with body weight training alone.

You can definitely build a nice physique with body weight...it's just the claim of 25 Lbs in a year or a year and a half that I have serious doubts about.

This is a pretty good article...

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html

If you're under 25 and doing "military grade calisthenics" as a relatively untrained person 15-20 lbs in a year isn't inconceivable. It's suboptimal, no doubt. I gained 10-15 lbs of mostly muscle in basic training 20 years ago. I know it was mostly muscle, because I gained almost 4 inches across my chest and shoulders and nothing at the waist.

I'm impressed, or maybe it's the difference in our systems, but most of us actually lost muscle during basic due to the stress etc. Of course, I was only listening to those who were already in shape like I was, maybe the smaller, untrained members were actually gaining muscle.

Note, I did the officer training but I don't think recruit training was different. We certainly weren't treated any differently in physical training and discipline that I ever saw or heard of.

It would be a rare bird who gains weight in basic.

You usually get really leaned out and drop 10-20lbs.

"A lean, mean, fight'n machine."

Yeah, I lost about 10 pounds. It actually put me under the minimum. They didn't give a hoot in basic but once I was at AIT they put me on extra rations and made me stuff my face constantly... was a bit embarrassing. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I used to do nothing but calisthenics for a long time...I was in the Marines and afterwards I continued doing them because I preferred it to the gym. I was lean and fit and well defined with a good physique, but I'd hardly say that I was "ripped" or "jacked"

I think it would be incredibly difficult to put on 25 Lbs of lean mass in a year with body weight training. A newb in the gym with a solid lifting program would be lucky to put on 20 Lbs in a year, so I'm hard pressed to think that will happen with body weight training alone.

You can definitely build a nice physique with body weight...it's just the claim of 25 Lbs in a year or a year and a half that I have serious doubts about.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html

If you're under 25 and doing "military grade calisthenics" as a relatively untrained person 15-20 lbs in a year isn't inconceivable. It's suboptimal, no doubt. I gained 10-15 lbs of mostly muscle in basic training 20 years ago. I know it was mostly muscle, because I gained almost 4 inches across my chest and shoulders and nothing at the waist.

I put on about 15 Lbs in basic as well...I was close to underweight at 5'10" and 135 Lbs soaking wet...actually, it might have been 130 Lbs...I was tiny. I was on double rations for all of basic and came out 150 Lbs...don't remember measurements. I definitely had a better physique and looked fit as hell...but not really "ripped" or "jacked"...when I think "ripped" or "jacked" I think more on the lines of 5'10" 190-200 Lbs @ sub 10% BF

I still felt pretty small...it took me years to get to 170 Lbs which was probably my best look aesthetically, but not big by any means.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I'm impressed, or maybe it's the difference in our systems, but most of us actually lost muscle during basic due to the stress etc. Of course, I was only listening to those who were already in shape like I was, maybe the smaller, untrained members were actually gaining muscle.

I was lean when I went to basic... I was freaking ripped when I got out. It is quite impressive considering how little we were given to eat and how short basic training is in the US.... 8-13 weeks depending on branch of service. I was the guidon carrier so was last in line for chow. We all had to finish and get up as a unit as soon as the drill instructors were done eating - and they didn't eat last. I learned to eat without chewing. lol

Definitely sounds familiar lol. Ours was 16 weeks and recruits were 13. Chewing was never an option!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Note, I did the officer training but I don't think recruit training was different. We certainly weren't treated any differently in physical training and discipline that I ever saw or heard of.

It would be a rare bird who gains weight in basic.

You usually get really leaned out and drop 10-20lbs.

"A lean, mean, fight'n machine."

Pretty much my experience. Field EX weeks we tended to drop 5-10 lbs and gain back maybe half after rehydrating. There were never enough calories in the field.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's not impossible. I mean...people play sports and get strong that way all the time. Just doing their various sports.

Let's differentiate between "strong" and "big". One does not necessarily equal the other.

220px-Masahiko_Kimura_%281917-1993%29.jpg

Current Texas State record holder in powerlifting:

qlfn4z80a5wj.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    That's Kimura. He was a big and strong Judo fighter. He did a bunch of bodyweight stuff, and wrestling. I think Herschel Walker was also known for doing bodyweight stuff...like an insane amount of pushups and things of that nature.

I bet OP could do just fine if he eats well. Probably will be a lot happier at ~170, too...idk what his bf% will be, but 170 at his height would still be pretty good shape imo. I'm 5'11"...and at my lightest as an adult was like around 170. Seemed too lean. I would think there's plenty of room at 145 to put on some weight and look really good.

I do think adding a couple of pieces like a trap bar, or idk...maybe a weight sled...would be something he would like, though. Give you some extra options for your legs, and you can pick up used plates fairly cheap.

lol, in like a year or two he'll have a full-blown garage gym with all the stuff.

Interesting if they could do it by bodyweight alone. Judokas and wrestlers often are seen in the weight room so not sure how he built his strength and size, but, of course, just grappling period is a major strength workout in itself. I've heard a lot about Walker never hitting the weight room but knowing that strength conditioning is a huge part of college ball I'm not sure if these stories are true. I've actually never heard anything from his coaching and training team that would have corroborated these stories so it might just be a rumour or it might be true. If anyone has a link providing that evidence I would be interested.
  • blakemarshall
    blakemarshall Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a bodyweight only program. Although only trying to maintain overall weight but lose fat.
    I've found Convict conditioning, and CMass by Paul Wade, Raising the bar -Al Kavadlo and Pushing the Limits - Al Kavadlo,
    And Red Delta Project the best.
    You want to choose progressions that you challenge you enough that you can only complete 8-12 reps.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    That's Kimura. He was a big and strong Judo fighter. He did a bunch of bodyweight stuff, and wrestling. I think Herschel Walker was also known for doing bodyweight stuff...like an insane amount of pushups and things of that nature.

I bet OP could do just fine if he eats well. Probably will be a lot happier at ~170, too...idk what his bf% will be, but 170 at his height would still be pretty good shape imo. I'm 5'11"...and at my lightest as an adult was like around 170. Seemed too lean. I would think there's plenty of room at 145 to put on some weight and look really good.

I do think adding a couple of pieces like a trap bar, or idk...maybe a weight sled...would be something he would like, though. Give you some extra options for your legs, and you can pick up used plates fairly cheap.

lol, in like a year or two he'll have a full-blown garage gym with all the stuff.

Interesting if they could do it by bodyweight alone. Judokas and wrestlers often are seen in the weight room so not sure how he built his strength and size, but, of course, just grappling period is a major strength workout in itself. I've heard a lot about Walker never hitting the weight room but knowing that strength conditioning is a huge part of college ball I'm not sure if these stories are true. I've actually never heard anything from his coaching and training team that would have corroborated these stories so it might just be a rumour or it might be true. If anyone has a link providing that evidence I would be interested.

I think Kimura was coming of age kind of before gyms were really up and going, for the most part. afaik, they would do things like plyometrics, squat each other (lol, seriously...like firemans carry each other and do squats)...tons of pushups. It's resistance, for sure. Judo is a lot of throwing of other people...lots of unilateral leg stuff, rowing and pulling motions.

Walker was supposedly growing up sprinting up hills and carrying stuff around the farm. He was a pro ball player, though...I have a hard time thinking they didn't actually make him lift weights at some point, though. But, he is rumored to have been super into bodyweight exercises.

He probably carried hay around or something growing up.

Freaky good genetics may come into play also. And for any pro football player, one has to at least strongly consider the possibility of steroid/PED usage.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I think Kimura was coming of age kind of before gyms were really up and going, for the most part. afaik, they would do things like plyometrics, squat each other (lol, seriously...like firemans carry each other and do squats)...tons of pushups. It's resistance, for sure. Judo is a lot of throwing of other people...lots of unilateral leg stuff, rowing and pulling motions.

Walker was supposedly growing up sprinting up hills and carrying stuff around the farm. He was a pro ball player, though...I have a hard time thinking they didn't actually make him lift weights at some point, though. But, he is rumored to have been super into bodyweight exercises.

He probably carried hay around or something growing up.

Gyms have been around for a long time, longer than photography but they were different back in the day. Mostly natural devices like kettle bells, weighted bats, strongman barsbells, and gymnastic apparatus etc. His workouts definitely sound old old school!

No doubt that Walker was amazing in bodyweight, he was renowned for it, in fact.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    It's not impossible. I mean...people play sports and get strong that way all the time. Just doing their various sports.

Let's differentiate between "strong" and "big". One does not necessarily equal the other.

220px-Masahiko_Kimura_%281917-1993%29.jpg

qlfn4z80a5wj.jpg

That's amazing!

Yeah, regarding the secrets to Walker's success...idk.

I know that is just now how most guys do it...and there is a good reason for that.

I would much rather lift a barbell than farm equipment and hay or whatever he did.

I've worked on a my uncle's farm several times growing up, I'll take a squat rack any day of the week!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm doing a bodyweight only program. Although only trying to maintain overall weight but lose fat.
    I've found Convict conditioning, and CMass by Paul Wade, Raising the bar -Al Kavadlo and Pushing the Limits - Al Kavadlo,
    You want to choose progressions that you challenge you enough that you can only complete 8-12 reps.

I've heard there is no such person as Paul Wade. He is fictitious apparently.

The guy in the book's pictures is not Paul Wade by the way.
  • Lean59man
    edited March 2018
    Options

How many women at Texas State powerlift?
  • Lean59man
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Regarding Herschel Walker's claims as to never lifting weights, he is known to have multiple personalities.

One of those personalities may have hit the weight room while the other did not.

The guy is a freak of nature for sure, like Bo Jackson.
  • blakemarshall
    blakemarshall Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I've heard there is no such person as Paul Wade. He is fictitious apparently.

The guy in the book's pictures is not Paul Wade.

Yeah a lot of it is written for entertainment! But the progressions are good information. I don't follow it exactly but its good for a beginner to learn how to change leverage if their bodyweight