Mock Duck

Options
beagletracks
beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
I used to love the mock duck salad at a Vietnamese restaurant in Minneapolis when I lived in the area long ago.

Haven’t seen it anywhere since.

Anybody buy or prepare mock duck?

Craving it!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You sent me off on a google search. It seems pretty inexpensive to make. There’s sweat equity in all the pounding.

I had succulent Peking duck at a fancy Chinese restaurant a few weeks ago. The chef carved it in front of us. The meat was dark, tender and juicy.
  • beagletracks
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You sent me off on a google search. It seems pretty inexpensive to make. There’s sweat equity in all the pounding.

I had succulent Peking duck at a fancy Chinese restaurant a few weeks ago. The chef carved it in front of us. The meat was dark, tender and juicy.

That sounds delicious!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Asian grocery in your area? I've found it there -- it's in the canned goods area when I've seen it.
  • beagletracks
    Options
    Do you have a Asian grocery in your area? I've found it there -- it's in the canned goods area when I've seen it.

Thanks! Is the canned stuff good?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I feel like it's the same as what I get when I order mock duck in a restaurant.
  • beagletracks
    Options

I feel like it's the same as what I get when I order mock duck in a restaurant.

Good to know! I am definitely going to try it. Thanks!
  • beagletracks
    Options
    xqz1i7g1pxp0.jpeg

Yep — the Asian market had it! Will try this week. Thanks for the tip. I called Whole Foods and they had no idea what it was.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    That looks like the one I've tried. I hope you like it!
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Think it’s made with seitan so you could always look up making your own seitan....pretty sure the local Asian restaurant will use the tinned stuff same way they are unlikely to make their own tofu....would be interested to hear if you enjoyed it the same as previous occasions.
  • beagletracks
    Options
    Think it’s made with seitan so you could always look up making your own seitan....pretty sure the local Asian restaurant will use the tinned stuff same way they are unlikely to make their own tofu....would be interested to hear if you enjoyed it the same as previous occasions.

I tried it out of the can and won’t have it again. Will try my own with seitan, though!
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Linda McCartney do a shredded hoisin duck sub. It’s tasty :)